What info does implode have that we dont?

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
schlechtj

What info does implode have that we dont?

Post by schlechtj »

I have bee out of the scene for a while but have had my intrest piqued latley. I have tried implodes (I know hes reading this.... Hi implode!) enhancement and so far it is great. Hope he can finish it. I remember him asking around a couple of years ago on some other forums about data locations in the origional wizards.exe file. Aparantly he must have found what he was looking for... site ime.

Now for my part, I have created an editor for the origional mom, really a front end for hex editing wizards.exe. This was based on a document from 99 by Ken Dale. I could improve my editor if implode would kindly release to the general public (or me in confidence) data locations to other locations that he may know about. For example, there is a post about wall of fire being wimpy. Perhaps you can decide how powerfull it should be.... If I knew where in the program that value was stored.

If anyone has information like this, please let me know at masterofmagicgame@gmail.com
thanks!

Joel
Implode
Site Admin

Re: What info does implode have that we dont?

Post by Implode »

schlechtj wrote:I know hes reading this.... Hi implode
Gee, I feel like Big Brother :)

The only sources of info I have are:
A couple of text files dated 1999 - I can't find where they say Ken Dale, but I expect they're the same ones you've got. I'll post them in 2 separate messages, just in case.
The strategy guide.
Trying stuff out in the original game.

So sorry... don't think there's anything I know that you don't :)

Implode.
schlechtj

Thanks for replying

Post by schlechtj »

Thanks for replying implode. Didn't mean to sound like you were hording. I was just hoping that the community as a whole would have more information than 8 year old documents. I guess if I ever get time I'll have to go through a couple hundred thousand bits of data to see what they do. I know they will find me in the backyard in a hole with a beard and my laptop!

Best regards!

Joel
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for replying

Post by Implode »

schlechtj wrote:I guess if I ever get time I'll have to go through a couple hundred thousand bits of data to see what they do.
I didn't to be honest see the point of going to those lengths to find out bits of info that I can find in the strategy guide, or as a last resort by trying them out in the game. I've got absolutely zero interest in trying to tweak the behaviour of the original game - no matter what you do to improve it, there will still be no multiplayer, the AI will still need to cheat to be any good, Raise/Animate Dead will still crash it, etc. etc.

Where it gets wooly is deciding whether the way the original worked was intended or a bug. e.g. Not being able to cast Flame Blade on Chaos Channeled units in combat strikes me as a bug... but there's bound to be other circumstances where its not quite so obvious.

e.g. Non-corporeal units can't use enchanted roads - that's entirely sensible, they have no physical form to touch the road with, instead they float through the air at 1/2 MP per tile. But if you also give them the Flight skill (now hang on a minute, they're already floating through the air...) all of a sudden they're now able to use enchanted roads, but over every other type of terrain (which they aren't touching) they move at half the speed - that just strikes me as plain weird. In the "original MoM" rules, I've kept this as-is, but stuff like this I'll definitely look to remodel in my "recommended" ruleset.

Implode.
schlechtj

Re: Re: Re:

Post by schlechtj »

As I looked further into your project I realize that you are only using the information files other than the wizards.exe file and therefore you don't need to know locations. You are correct that completely rewriting the engine would be the best thing however (no offense and I hope you succeed) for how many master of magic clones or whatever have been attempted, none have ever been done to completion. Altering the original game is my best bet at being able to have control over the game for balance and whatnot. Today I saw your list of questions about the program such as how the shatter spell operates. If I find any out I will be sure to let you know what I find. I for one would really like to see your project completed.

Best regards,
joel
elliott20

Re: What info does implode have that we dont?

Post by elliott20 »

While Implode's solution is probably the best, it does take a helluva lot of dedication and energy to bring a project like this to fruition since it's effectively a new game he's writing. Most teams that take on new games simply don't make it to the finish line because of project management issues and time dedication. It's good see Implode's example though. It's very inspiring for all of us aspiring game designers. (just as it's amazing to see what Cave Story was the result of a one man development team)