MOM 2.0 Upload

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
Aureus

Re: MOM 2.0 Upload

Post by Aureus »

Interesting points. There is a whole other thread somewhere (on another site) in which some users thought Klackons were way too powerful. I disagreed for the reasons you mention. Getting up to stage beetles is tough on a difficult setting -- there's little in the interim that can hold you over. I think on balance they are about right. I'm in the midst of my dissertation right now so I probably won't get around to playing again for a few months. But I think this race will get some attention (even if they are ultimately left unchanged) whenever I update the "patch".

Witch Doctors probably fit Orcs better but it didn't make sense to rewrite more than I needed to. The name change was primarily to give the race more flavor, even if it doesn't keep perfectly with the mythology.
Asfex

Post by Asfex »

Hi Aureus! I love your patch. race balances is a good, alchemy guild in the all races also good, much of phantastic units changes is also good.
Mana upkeep of spells and creatures also good.
Djinn has 40 mana point - it's a 40/3 =13 shots! -too high! Bad. he is a 40 caster -its good.
heroes spell - good, I have tested bugfix to apply posession,plack prayer from morgana and torin.

Spells are bad commonly. But i glad you try to walkaround it.

Chill touch,contagon seems like ultimate weapon .-with no chance of resist this spell is not death-magic style.It must be cost as a doombolt and very rare.
Spectral force looks good, but why i cannnot cast it overland, before my opponents can counterspell it?
zombie - not so bad.
Sorcery spell changes good -except for floating island upkeep -this is not a "magic trireme" .
Life - good,except heroism (star fires -good, but combined power - the fist figure gets 15 damage - others to 8 each-This will the best). if an angel can cast 20 mp, it can cast heroism if it cost 20 mp too.i sad this feature is prevented.
Hail storm. - it useless. 3 strength attack is too little, it can block only an early , chip units . The spell "destroy roads" overland will be worth. The "destroy roads" is that the nature need.
Chaos spells are almost duplication of the existing.
Last edited by Asfex on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Asfex

Post by Asfex »

I also mutate chaos channel to give units "create undead" property. now its a good spell.its do not break the death idea, and can help with a high -resist units.(except angels...)
I also have a bugfix to fix animate dead spell. -it's a hard coded, but work perfectly and it do not crush the game, neither bring an unpredictadle bugs.
i have raise dead bugfix. It seems do nothing except do not hung the game and do not create "planar travel invisible flying galley", and the other bugs.
These are tested a lot.
May be you will rebring the "animate dead " into the next realise?

Why do you remove the drain life spell? what kind of bug are you hate? It was a good spell. I think to give "deth spell" an addition spell charge to pierce units resistance is a good idea. The death is lack of resistance spell.

All of bugfix may be applayed into any mom1.31 independently and freely.-its a byte-hacks.
There are also: mercenaries can be hired with magical or adamantium weapon, concecration block volcano near the town, volcano can discover deposits - gold, mithril.ets (1 byte changes),invisible units under web can be targeted by ranged attack, drain power spell receive the drained mana to the caster,
mana range penalty depends on the distance to the summoning circle too (not only fortress), ets.

What do you think to give the great wyrm the "partial illusion immunity" - he can see the invisible units, but suffer 1 to hit penalty and HAVE NOT illusion imunity? De facto it has this already. -but may be help the AI.
Asfex

Post by Asfex »

kyrub wrote: BTW, you should check the section with AI wizards:
- edited starting profiles with better combos - white warlord, green/white alchemist, black conjurer, black/red archmage, blue/white artificer+runelord
This is a great way to alter the enemy setup: the AI uses the pre-made wizards (Oberic, Tlaloc etc.) as a base for their setup, so changing them into the more powerful combinations creates a new difficulty level. I have put two warlords in my games and could not stop them afterwards. :wink:
Can you publish this hex -adresses and formats? or send me via email?
kyrub

Post by kyrub »

I do not have the hex-addresses, but here is a simple way to find it:

Take Magic.exe ( = setups the game ), ctrl+find "Oberic" and you'll see a small table of generic wizards, first come always the number of books from different colors, at the end I think is always the number of special trait. No rocket science, really. Try it out to see how it is working exactly.

Note: you may also "overload" the wizard with too many picks and then play with it, although I am unsure about the in-game stability / playability.

The great thing is that the generic wizards are used as a base for the setup (with some random factor, though - see the big Official guide!), so you may actually make your opposition far better than it is right now. Quite a big effect for small effort! It would be great if one could alter the opponent wizards directly from the MoM setup screen, similar to many other strategic. Or if one could alter many other difficulty settings, number of opponent's picks, economical advantage, spell upkeep advantage - maybe I will think about making it possible.
Lucern

Post by Lucern »

Any of that extra functionality would be amazing Kyrub, particularly the additional opponents. There are a lot of areas in the game that seem to be graphically limited to 4 opponents though, like when you cast a spell affecting wizards as well as the basic diplomacy window. If you need graphics for buttons for scrolling and such, lemme know, though without a base, highly modifiable remake of the game (ahem), I'm not sure you can add stuff like that.

edit...just saw your bug-squishing project over on dragon-sword, so I'll add that you probably knew all this. :)
kyrub

Post by kyrub »

Never ever I will be able to add opponents. While you could perhaps step around with some graphics, I cannot step around insufficient place for data.

What I meant was changing the number of opponent's wizard picks, e.g. books/wizard traits (now it is 15 on impossible, the human player has 11).
I could certainly make a game setup for research - like quick / slow, or maybe for the population growth quick / normal, or MAYBE for flexible starting location (this I remember being hard to do).
Asfex

Post by Asfex »

can me explain somebody: the efreet is a very rare spell. is it very rare to start game with it, or is it very rare to learn it in the middle of the game?
Tino Didriksen
Site Admin

Post by Tino Didriksen »

Asfex wrote:can me explain somebody: the efreet is a very rare spell. is it very rare to start game with it, or is it very rare to learn it in the middle of the game?
To which the manual says:
The Manual wrote:For example, if a wizard cannot learn any very rare spells in a particular area (i.e., if the wizard has fewer than three spell ranks of that magic type), then he or she can never acquire very rare spells of that magic type through trade or exploration.
Asfex

Post by Asfex »

This manual wrote for the original master of magic, not the 2.0 edition. So can i trade for efreet spell when i had only 2 haos spell book in the "2.0 edition"?
Can i get the efreet spell to my research spell page if i have 10 chaos spell book and no rare and common spells was researched yet?
Do the changes the rarity of the efreet spell in the" 2.0 edition" affect these qwestions?or just a starting spells?
gregz

Post by gregz »

Geocities died, where is this version hosted now?
Nehan

Post by Nehan »

you can download it here:
http://www.dragonsword.com/magic.php
Warsaw isn't a kind of a battle saw. It's the capital of Poland.
elliott20

Post by elliott20 »

I can't believe I JUST got this. So here I am... 2 years late to the party.

Anyway, thoughts...

summons are actually really good now overall. Sure, I still stick to my staples (i.e. I still love me some phantom warriors) but it seems like I can actually find a use for every unit. I didn't realize how thorough these changes are until I realized you buff all the summons. (Let's just say the first time I fought against some nagas I was VERY big surprised. seriously, caster levels AND first strike? I don't know if it's balanced or not, but I love it.)

other thoughts, I've also notice some behaviors that I didn't notice before. i.e. the AI will sometimes pump out an entire city full of just a single unit type. (I've seen AI cities that have 9 priests in them and nothing else) I don't recall ever seeing this unless it was because of a lack of options. (i.e. city can only produce spearman)

I still haven't experienced it all yet since my first game was my default of high men, warlord, life books, but I'll get around to trying out the other guys.

oh yeah, another thing: my first merc unit in MOM 2.0 was the dervish. man, those guys were AWESOME. They were like vanilla-slingers-lite
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Just thought I'd chime in. Been playing 2.0 a lot recently. I noticed a few things:

1. Earth Gate does not allow teleportation across planes. I don't think this is a bug, but a feature of the spell that I wasn't aware of and the help text should be modified accordingly.

2. Nature is still too weak, but one can occasionally be successful on large land mass, impossible, via a summoning strategy (sprites, war bears, spiders, etc). I'll consider modifying or adding a spell or two with the next set of changes (if anyone cares :)

3. I think the sound for Lyncathropy is off (it sounds like running when it is cast; maybe I was mistaken). In any case, I'll look into it.

It's cool that the AI uses the new spells (acid fog, chill touch, etc). I think there is a setting in the magic.exe file that determines how often the AI will use a given spell, but maybe I'm mistaken.

As to what an earlier poster asked, I got rid of energy drain because the AI used it way too often and was just a waste of mana. I think there was a bug where staff penalties, etc would work in reverse. Chill touch is far more useful!