[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - MOM 2.0 Upload

MOM 2.0 Upload

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic

Re: MOM 2.0 Upload

Postby kyrub » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:39 am

kyrub

Postby Aureus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:37 am

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the saved game file info has much use, but the other files (allowing for general changes) will be interesting. I'll have to play around with that sometime. What suggestions are you thinking? I can reflect on them and adopt them into the 2.1 version whenever I get around to it.. At first blush, my main interests would be in tweaking the relationship between spell books and spells, as well as some of the special abilities (if possible).
Aureus

Postby kyrub » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:20 pm

kyrub

Postby Aureus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:29 am

Bogged down with work, but hopefully I'll be into this again in about a month or two.

In the interim, let me know what you think of 2.0 so I can tweak things if necessary. I love how it plays but I may be overlooking some things.
Aureus

Postby Zephirus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 pm

I see that aureus have some information about hexediting master of magic that we don´t.

I know, for instance, how to change several aspects of the game just changing some specific data on wizards.exe and spelldat.lbx, but i still don´t know how to change the heroes habilities, how to change the heroes spellbooks and so on.

If possible, can you post those technichal information here? I also have some ideias for a master of magic mod, but lack lots of information to implement this.
Zephirus

Postby Aureus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Last edited by Aureus on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aureus

Postby Aureus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Aureus

Postby Tomalak » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi Aureus

Thanks for answering my questions in that first set. btw, have you or anyone else seen the AI cast Chill Touch or Contagion?

I never realized that Mountaineering only gave 1 movement on plains, nice catch! And since 2 movement creatures are (only?) Stone and Fire Giants which SHOULD cover a lot of ground, plus the fact Forester doesn't function like that... I agree, it must be a bug. I'm sure Mountaineering could easily be fixed by Kyrub someday. (but first MOO!)

Your reason for changes to Spell Lock and Invulnerability make sense, just like most of the other changes and bug work-arounds. You really put a lot of thought into this, it's a pleasure to play, thank you! If I come up with any improvement ideas, I'll let you know.
Tomalak

Postby Aureus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Aureus

Postby Tomalak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Just tested it out and the AI does indeed cast Chill Touch and Contagion but gives them EXTREMELY low casting priority compared to other spells like Weakness and Black Sleep etc. (and the AI really does LOVE Life Drain!)

Also you're correct, units with Death Immunity are NOT immune to Chill Touch and Contagion (even though you HAVE classified it as a death attack) Oh well, these two spells are great additions and not over-powered in the least, very situational use, which I like, nice design!

Thanks for the rest of your info.
Tomalak

Postby Aureus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:51 am

Aureus

Postby kyrub » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 pm

The Ai will never use several spells, for instance Blur. Spell casting priority is hard-coded by spell number. Plus, there may be an extra effect of the spell cost: the higher the cost, the more often it is cast.
In fact, every special effect is hard coded by spell number. So, if you exchange two spells' position, you are risking enormous side-effects (sometimes they may be hard to notice at first).

BTW, Aureus, your mod is being discussed on gamespot forums:
kyrub

Postby Aureus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks for the update.
Aureus

Postby Shredding Day » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 am

Hi Aureus, I tried the mod out last week playing a few games as 4 Enemies / Hard / Normal Magic / Large Landmass with Orcs / sub-11 book Death Magic. On the whole I like what you tried to do. You know the intricacies of the game better than I ever will, but here are my reactions regardless:

Orcs still feel weak as a starter race even with the fast growth.

Death magic still seems weak. The in-battle zombie summon is great. That attack spell you replaced Subversion with feels like spellbook filler. Is there a right way to be playing Death that I don't know about?

Nodes were very difficult to take, especially when all I've got are skeletons and orcish halberdiers. Weakness, the spell I leaned on to grab neutral cities was useless in node combat.

Did you really need to make Settlers float across water? Yuck.

The AI's armies are a lot more intimidating. I lost my capital to it on my first game because I underestimated what the incoming units could do. The AI is still dumb as a post, bee-lining for certain cities even as it passes less protected outposts among other things. Decent strategic AI that engaged in diplomacy as in Master of Orion is what MoM really needs.

A freaking sprite one-shotted a hero of mine. +1 accuracy on those things is vicious.

Have you considered modding the wizard starting picks? Nerf 11 book, boost some of the wizard perks or write your own?
Shredding Day

Postby Aureus » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Aureus

PreviousNext

Return to Files and formats