[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - How to play original Masters of Magic on WIN XP system

How to play original Masters of Magic on WIN XP system

Anything else to do with the original Master of Magic

How to play original Masters of Magic on WIN XP system

Postby Hammerhands » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:53 pm

Create the two files CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT with notepad or wordpad
and follow the instructions below

File [Config.NT] place in magic directory with magic and wizards.exe

NTCMDPROMPT
EMM=RAM
dos=high, umb
devicehigh=C:\Windows\system32\himem.sys
files=40

File [Autoexec.NT]place in magic directory with magic and wizards.exe

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM turn of Windows XP sound blaster 2 support with INVALID set blaster parameter A=0
SET BLASTER=A0
dosdrv

ok now to get it ready to work
INSTALL VDMSound current release is easy to install and you dont paths to launch it
the file command dosdrv will allow for soundbaster support
use INSTALL.exe in MPS\Magic directory to set for sound blaster (original not the PRO)
use A=220 IRQ 7 if you have no printer IRQ 5 if you have a printer do not use IRQ 10 if you have a PCI or AGP video card
right click on magic.exe elect PROPERTIES and open Program tab select Advanced
C:\MPS\MAGIC\AUTOEXEC.NT
C:\MPS\MAGIC\CONFIG.NT
set the PIF files to the new ones now in Magic subdirectory
now be sure to answer OK to save changes to magic.pif
select the MEMORY Tab and set for these options
Conventional Memory -AUTO check Protected box Intial Enviroment 4096
Expanded EMS Memory - Auto
Extended XMS memory - Auto and check Uses HMA [needed for load high of enviroment
MSDOS protected mode DPMI memory - Auto

Save these changes by apply and then ok

repeat the pif and memory settings for wizards.exe
same settings

now manually open a command prompt window and type either magic for intro
or wizards to start savegame9

you should pass the memory requirements and have full audio features and normal play
Hammerhands

Postby Implode » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:55 am

Hmm, I had to try this given that I've never been able to get the original MoM to work in XP, and still no joy. The only way I can get the original MoM to work is using DosBox, through which it works quite well - a little slow, but full sound and I can live with it.

When I tried, to start with I kept getting "The EMM command line in your config.nt contains invalid parameters or syntax errors" but I took this line out, put it back again and now I'm not getting that error. However no matter what I do I still get

"You must have at least 2700K of expanded memory" when I try to actually run the game.

I know there's a problem with emm386 not liking PCs with >512 mb memory, something about the memory allocation table being so large that it won't fit in its allocated space, and my laptop has 1 GB. Do you think that's why this won't work?

Thanks,

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

hmm

Postby Hammerhands » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:04 am

I am just wondering if you set all the parameters in file properties
incl making the .nt files for the mps/magic directory and specifying those files
also you can click load the magic.exe
you MUST open a command prompt
then type magic or wizards
you will get memory allocated and sound on

how ever if you dont have the install setup for audio card correct
you will get a needs 2700 EMS error from a sound profile error
easy way to see this is run install set NONE to both card options
and game will load
Hammerhands

Postby Ortemus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:44 pm

Ortemus

win xp

Postby Hammerhands » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:55 pm

Hammerhands

Postby Ortemus » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Ortemus

Postby Hammerhands » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Hammerhands

Postby xanthus29 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:55 am

xanthus29

Postby nazrix » Fri May 19, 2006 6:23 pm

nazrix

Postby Lord Budweiser » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Lord Budweiser

Re: How to play original Masters of Magic on WIN XP system

Postby Woo-haa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes you get dont have enough memory at first 27000k or somethinh.

But my mom runs perfectly on Xp without dosbox or making/downloading all the extra files,
all you need to do is to rigth click on magic.exe
Make it run in win 95 with resultion 640 x 480(click on box), and change the memory to Auto on all, dont check any of the boxes on memory.
After you done all this you will see a new icon in your folder MS DOS with the name MAGIC
Click it and happy playing, (it wont work on vista) but then you have dosbox as you allready know
Woo-haa

Return to General - Original MoM