Map wrapping boundary issues

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
Derakarsis

Post by Derakarsis »

Someone is right, and just like the Insane AI is going to beat all of us when it finally finds us.

Bug related:

I've noticed that the unit stack graphic tends to slide up and to the left (diagonal) when you're attempting to move up and to the right (diagonal) The unit of course ends up in the correct location, its just a little odd, happens a lot around mountains if that makes a difference.
Lupinedreams

Post by Lupinedreams »

Just had to reboot from a directdraw or direct3d error....wish I could give more information but as I said, had to reboot. Also the text spam in combat, while useful information, is right in the middle of the screen, maybe an option to turn that off or be in it's own window would be nice.

Another interesting bug: sometimes, seemingly random, about 1/4 of the time or so, when you give a unit a move order the screen will continue scrolling all the way around the world in that direction until it gets back to the unit again, then stop and let you continue playing.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Lupinedreams wrote:Also the text spam in combat, while useful information, is right in the middle of the screen, maybe an option to turn that off or be in it's own window would be nice.
Text spam in combat? Eh? You mean all the damage calculations? Just click the blue calculator icon, next to auto/done/flee/etc to turn it on or off.
Lupinedreams wrote:Another interesting bug: sometimes, seemingly random, about 1/4 of the time or so, when you give a unit a move order the screen will continue scrolling all the way around the world in that direction until it gets back to the unit again, then stop and let you continue playing.
Yup, its always done that, its been down on the list to fix for ages but I've looked at it a number of times and not figured out why it does it. But I do know about it...
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

I seem to remember hearing about that error from another place, a long time ago - Civilization's customized maps. If you were right at the "boundary' of the map, as far as the computer is concerned (I know we can walk around it like a loop, but its still a flat square grid as far as a computer's concerned) sometimes instead of taking the shortest path, like two squares to the left (which happens to cross the invisible boundary), it would travel right aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the way around to where you wanted to go...

How they fixed it, no clue.

But I think it has something to do with those boundaries.

Hope that helps. :?
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Derakarsis wrote:I've noticed that the unit stack graphic tends to slide up and to the left (diagonal) when you're attempting to move up and to the right (diagonal) The unit of course ends up in the correct location, its just a little odd, happens a lot around mountains if that makes a difference.
Yes, it does so at the insivible map boundary Coyote was talking about. The bug where units appear to move up-left but then at the end of their move, jump to the right location is actually a separate bug (and a bit easier to fix) than the problem when the map is trying to recentre on a location but sometimes goes the long way around. I spotted the unit stack bug when testing 0.9.1 but hadn't been bothered to fix it since its only a visual artefact, the units end up in the right place so it doesn't affect gameplay.

I've made sure its on the buglist so it doesn't get forgotten about.

Thanks,

Implode.