Virm's 0.9.1 testing

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
Virm

Post by Virm »

playing a game by myself with 3 AI players. I am running both debug client and server and will provide log files as soon as I finish the game (still playing as I type this). Bugs encounted thus far:

Gold gained/lost each turn and the amount it says I should gain/lose are consistantly 4 gold off (I always actually get 4 gold more than it says I should). This appears to start a few turns into the game but I wasn't paying attention to it the first few turns.

after about 50 turns, upon trying to have my starting city build a unit I recieved an error regarding "locking", presumably thread locking. I clicked through it before I thought about it (will attempt to reproduce in a later game). Thereafter all attempts to change production in the city fail to bring up the build menu and provides the following error - "TNDGThreadLock.EnsureLocked: TNDGGridMap3DArea.GetContainer does not have lock with sequence 12 locked." This error occurs during my turn with no other actions happening.

in case this has any bearing on the gold problem, I started on myrran plane playing the dwarves.
Virm

Post by Virm »

Additional oddities noticed:

generic overland spells appear to not exist once researched (e.g. Change Terrain, Earth Lore, etc.)

after a while (about another 30 turns from my previous post) the gold offset has changed from +4 of displayed net to +1 of displayed net.

another 15 turns (and a few more of that normal unit, a steam cannon, that I can't change production from) later the offset has disappeared.

the limit set during server setup for maximum units in a space does not appear to have any affect upon units built within a city already containing that maximum. My maximum was set at 12.

after producing enough of the normal unit to reach the limit allowed to set a server to for max units/space (18), the city continues to produce more of the unit, and the units continue to remain in the city space. As of the moment I am submitting this post I have 21 units in my city square.

after setting tax to 0 the following error occured upon trying to open the starting city "DescribeCityProductionCalculation: Production, Consumption, Percentage and Cap were all zero (RE03)". Error ceased after setting tax to a non-"0" value.

Note: If you notice a gold disparity in the area of turns 90 and 105, that was my own doing through outside ram editing software to continue the game and try to hunt other bugs. The only thing altered was the amount of gold. If you desire more information for your future reference (possibly for making debugging tools) I'll send you an email regarding it.

personal thoughts:

I kinda wish there was a way to order the spells just by magic type (Arcane, Death, Life, etc.) like there was in the original MoM.
Last edited by Virm on Tue May 29, 2007 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Virm

Post by Virm »

not sure if this is a bug or not, but upon trying to close the client I recieve the error "Access violation at address 00000020. Read of address 00000020." from the client. I would guess that this is just an artifact of me closing it before it thought it was done? (I just closed it with the x in the toolbar)

(the following files are hosed on a server sitting in my room, it doesn't upload very quickly but if there's any other problems with getting the files let me know and I'll fix it as able)

Log files:
Client (196 MB)
Server (3.5 MB)
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Generic overland spells appear to not exist once researched - Only spells you can actually cast (i.e. those I've written the casting mechanism for) appear in the spell book, which amounts to: Summoning, overland enchantments, unit enchantments & curses, city enchantments & curses. "Special" spells like change terrain, earth lore, etc. don't work and therefore don't appear.

The gold per turn being wrong - did you have a food surplus? You sell each 2 surplus food for 1 gold, so if you were making +8 extra food then you'd get +4 extra gold per turn than what the gold display says.

the limit set during server setup for maximum units in a space does not appear to have any affect (& same for building units in a city) - That's on the to do list already.

Errors on closedown - the closedown code just doesn't work well, its pretty rare that you manage to close either the client or the server without getting a ream of access violation/data execution/blah blah errors. Just click through them all :)

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the "DescribeCityProductionCalculation" bug was due to setting the tax rate at zero... I'll get this fixed.

I'm in the process of grabbing your log files, I'll have a look through these to see if there's anything useful in there. I'm rather hoping your lock error you had after 50 turns that you clicked straight off of is going to be in there, since this is the only thing anyone has posted so far that sounds like a serious problem.

Also (to everyone) could you please post your own buglists in new forum topics, otherwise there's already becoming quite a mess for me to sift through in here.

Thanks!

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Virm wrote:If you notice a gold disparity in the area of turns 90 and 105, that was my own doing through outside ram editing software to continue the game and try to hunt other bugs. The only thing altered was the amount of gold.
...and you actually figured out the memory location to alter??? Did you figure out that if you alter the value on the client, the server still isn't going to let you rush buy buildings etc. since it has the true values? BTW, if you just want a faster start, set the difficulty level to custom, give human players 500 gold and size 10 cities. No need to use any dodgy ram editing software :)
Virm wrote:I kinda wish there was a way to order the spells just by magic type (Arcane, Death, Life, etc.) like there was in the original MoM.
Wow, I never knew about that! I'll add it on the "to do" list.

Thanks,

Implode.
Virm

Post by Virm »

As far as the ram edit goes, it wasn't really too painful to work out. I made the assumption that the real value would be in the server to prevent client-side tampering.

The other ordering of the spell book can be seen in original MoM by unchecking "Spell Book Ordering" under Display in the game settings. I find it somewhat surprising that you never about it. To me it's always seemed to be the 'default' ordering.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

"TNDGThreadLock.EnsureLocked: TNDGGridMap3DArea.GetContainer does not have lock with sequence 12 locked." when you try to build a unit in a city with an Alchemists' Guild and
"DescribeCityProductionCalculation: Production, Consumption, Percentage and Cap were all zero (RE03)" when you set your tax rate to zero
...both fixed in 0.9.2. Thanks for spotting them :) And I've made a note about the spell book ordering, but probably be a while before I bother with that since its not an actual bug...

Implode.