.cfg instead of accursed registry entries

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)

.cfg instead of accursed registry entries

Postby klausbreuer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi!

Yes, you were asked something along these lines some time ago, in a locked post :wink:

However, I would like to add my opinion to this: registry entries are a waste of time, and make moving the game needlessly difficult. Imagine I'm re-installing Windows, as I usually have to do every six or eight months. Instead of simply formatting and re-installing on drive C and then immediately playing again on the untouched drive D, I have to re-install the game.
Dito on a new computer, new motherboard, new hard drive, etc etc.

You said that you find .INI files so very Win 3.1 :D - call it .cfg then. This would also allow us to take this great game along on an USB stick, showing it off to friends.

Ciao,
Klaus

PS: Should you want some Delphi code for this, I'll gladly write you a little unit, so you don't have to change your code.
klausbreuer

Re: .cfg instead of accursed registry entries

Postby Implode » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Yes but most users don't want to take it on a USB stick, they want all this kinds of stuff to be hidden so they simply install and run it. If you want to put it on a USB stick, just put the MSI installer on there, that's what its for :D

Anyway, once its in Java it'll be using XML config files anyway since using the Windows registry is very non-Java-ish :D

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Re: .cfg instead of accursed registry entries

Postby klausbreuer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 am

Weeeeell, I hate to disagree with you, but most people in my area seem to rather dislike the registry. It gets cluttered very quickly, messes up your reinstalls, and a simple config file is very quick and easy to modify, too.

On the other hand, this could all quickly turn completely trivial - I'm delighted about the Java port! :D
klausbreuer

Return to Bug reports and ideas for enhancements