OUT OF SCAN error, can't play fullscreen!

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
dinolightning

OUT OF SCAN error, can't play fullscreen!

Post by dinolightning »

Hey I want to say this is so great that you have made this, I've been waiting for this a long time and I apprecate the work you put in!

Anyway my problem is that apparently my montior just can't display 800x600 resolution. I've tried changing my refresh rate to four different rates, the ones that SHOULD work, and it just doesn't work. Anyway I run at like 1280x1024 res so it's much too small to play windowed, and when I ALT+ENTER it, it just goes black and brings up the OUT OF SCAN error.

This could be fixed in a couple of ways - allow it to do emulated full screen (but like you still have the windows bar at the top etc, or just have it run at the ORIGINAL resolution! What is it, 320x200 or something? I play original MoM all the time and it runs fine!

Please, if you have any advice.

2 side questions: is there anyway to turn off/down music and also is it just me or can I not make a "custom" wizard?

Thanks a lot.
Implode
Site Admin

Re: OUT OF SCAN error, can't play fullscreen!

Post by Implode »

dinolightning wrote:Anyway my problem is that apparently my montior just can't display 800x600 resolution. I've tried changing my refresh rate to four different rates, the ones that SHOULD work, and it just doesn't work.
Can you download and run this & email me the output? It might give me some ideas what's up.
dinolightning wrote:Anyway I run at like 1280x1024 res so it's much too small to play windowed
Heh, I play it windowed on my monitor set to 1920x1200 :D
dinolightning wrote:ORIGINAL resolution! What is it, 320x200 or something? I play original MoM all the time and it runs fine!
No its not, its horrid :) You can see hardly any of the map! Upping the screen resolution was (besides multiplayer) one of the main things I wanted to improve in MoM IME. Eventually I may make the fullscreen resolution choosable, but that's WAAAAY down the list of things to do right now, and likely it'll only support 800x600 or higher, not lower.
dinolightning wrote:is there anyway to turn off/down music
No, but it bugs me too so I'll add in a way to do this pretty soon.
dinolightning wrote:is it just me or can I not make a "custom" wizard?
Yes you can... there's a custom button under the 14 pre-defined wizard buttons, just like in the original MoM? Then you pick a photo, then your various book/retort picks. Doesn't this work for you?

Implode.
Lupinedreams

Post by Lupinedreams »

His problem in choosing a custom wizard may be that it involves one more step than the original MoM - I had the same problem for a second when I tried the MoMIME client until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Basically, you have to click one button one more time - in the original, you hit custom, selected your wizard, and it took you to the wizard customization screen. In MoMIME there's an extra step. It's been a while since I messed with the IME client but I think you have to select custom, then put in a name and then hit custom again and select a picture? I forget the process exactly, but I remember there being one more step - not difficult to do but confusing if you don't realize it is necessary, especially if you just loaded up IME after playing original MoM.
jayjech

Post by jayjech »

Hi Implode,

First off -- awesome project, here. (I was going to ramble about how cool you are, but you hear it all the time; I'll keep it frank. So, awesome project, and you rule 8) )

Secondly -- you've stated that you wouldn't consider going lower, but what does it take to allow for different resolutions? I ask because, believe it or not, my primary PC only allows up to 800x480 native resolution -- which, while pretty craptastic -- is actually not too unreasonable for an old game like MoM. I'm wondering if it would be difficult to adapt your client to support 800x480 (or 640x480, which might be more practical.)

If you're not willing to do it yourself, perhaps myself or someone else would be willing to step up to the task, if you could provide a basic outline of what would need to be done.

Anyway -- wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic project, and let you know that there is at least -some- interest in adding support for a ---x480 resolution.

EDIT: removed the directX caps; it was silly for me to include them in the first place because they were waaaaaaay too long
Last edited by jayjech on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

It should work in 640x480, especially full screen. There used to be issues in the old versions where you had to create games on the server, because many of the server dialog boxes were bigger than 640x480. But with the current (and upcoming) version it should work fine.

But what kind of a weird mode is 800x480 anyway ;)
Implode.
Virm

Post by Virm »

it sounds like a small widescreen format
jayjech

Post by jayjech »

800x480 is a weird mode, you're right :)

My main comp is an EeePC. It's craptacular, but it's also very cheap and extremely portable.

I did get the client working, but there's a bit of weird "flashing" and it seems to be running in a scrolling 800x600.

..but then, my comp does suck, so what can I expect :)