how some abilities work...

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Virm

how some abilities work...

Post by Virm »

I'm just kinda curious how you're implimanting various movement abilities (eg. pathfinding, non-corporeal, etc.). I'm mostly wondering about non-corporeal.

Non-corporeal units move at half a movement point per square on the overland regardless of terrain (including water), and move as though water-walking in combat at one move point per square (and supposedly can walk through walls, but that's never worked for me). However, non-corporeal units can't make use of roads.

I just recently noticed an odd quirk about the way the original MoM defined it. On the overland non-corporeal is directly defined as combining pathfinding and water-walking, so any unit with both of these abilities on it is treated (at least on the overland) as non-corporeal and becomes unable to use roads.

Just curious if the same 'feature' is present in the way you have implimented it or if you made it an independent ability.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Really? I knew in the original Pathfinding = Forester + Mountaineer, but I didn't know about how non-corporeal worked. They're all separate skills in MoM IME (each unit simply has a list of skills, rather than bitmask flags).

I spent a good while testing out all the weird combinations and which could and could not use roads, like non-corporeal by itself, non-corporeal + flying, etc. etc. and devised a movement rules table, which is basically just a long list of "If you've got this skill and moving over this type of terrain, it costs X movement". Download the editors, and look in the server editor at "movement rate rules".

Any circumstances you've found where it gets the movement rates wrong?

Implode.