Running IME from Dosbox?

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Tyth

Running IME from Dosbox?

Post by Tyth »

Something I would very much like to do, but it is something I am very new at. MOM wont run on XP (as of yet), I don't have a seprate machine, or OS that old for that matter. Can't run the IME Client through Dosbox, for the lack of win32.
If anyone here actually does run IME - MOM with Dosbox, please let me know. If not, heh, I would love to hear about your progress on the future version with MOM running on XP.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Tyth,

You're missing the point. Yes, you can run the *original* MoM in DosBox, that's how I use it, its pretty easy to set up. If people are still stuck on how to do this, I'll post some step by step instructions on it.

MoM IME is a totally new game, not just a patch on the old one. Its a 32 bit windows app rather than an old dos app, so you don't need DosBox - just run it in Windows the same as anything else.

Implode.
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

Ah, I see, It's an overhaul.
I have no problems with Dosbox, but it was just my first assumption to have to run it through that. That of course, didn't work, so I tried just running the client. It encounters an error, nondescript sadly, and closes. I probably er'd in the installation process, which I'm going to go over again to make sure.

-
Kudos for getting it to work on windows, by the way.
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

Tried again, still the client crashes before it even starts. There isn't really much to the installation process that I could have got wrong, very simple.
Not sure what the problem is, and I'm not sure what I can tell you to give you an idea of what's wrong. (Unless you already know.)

Running on XP, 1024 x 768 (tried 800 x 600 for good measure), 32 bit (tried 16 bit too, never know, but I doubt that mattered), and I of course set the location of the LBX. I would guess it has something to do with my video settings, or my video card, though my video card is rather new so..

:? I'm stumped. Hope I'm not missing something simple, that would hurt more, I think. :lol:
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Umm weird, no I don't know off the top of my head, the only usual problem is if you forgot to set the LBX location but you said you did that.

Any screen res (except 640x480) should be fine, it works in 16 or 32 bit colour (but 32 is faster).

All I can suggest is:
1) Try running the debug client. If this crashes *really* early though, you might not even get a useful log file...
2) Run the DirectX Caps Reporter, this gets installed with MoM IME in the new versions so it should be right on your start menu. Click each button in turn, then copy & paste it into an email to me (button next to my forum posts) and I'll see if there's anything problematic in there.

Implode.
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

Oh that's marvelous. Well, not entirely since it's an error, but it's beautiful to see it.
"13:06:00:546 Thread 00000DE4: Exception caught at top level: Error reading textureScreenMainMenuTitle.Frames.Frames: Cannot open file "G:\MOM\MAINSCRN.LBX". The system cannot find the file specified"

Not what I was expecting to be the problem, it is directed to the LBX folder, but that particular file isn't there.
It's curious, as I don't know how I'd run the game at all without something as obvious as the menu screen. Couldn't be a bad installation of MOM, can't get by without a menu screen. So my guess is maybe the patch, I downloaded a bad copy or something, and the MAINSCRN.lbx is the update or overwrite.
Last would be the file I downloaded from your site, IME itself, though if that were the case I wouldn't be the only one having the problem.
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

Oohhhh, it occurred to me, and I found the problem. MAINSCRN.LBX is on the MOM disk, which I still have, and am using, but it still fails regardless.
So I'm toying around with it, and getting 'some' results by just copying these requires files from the CD itself into the MoM folder. Not the BEST way to go about it, but I'm glad that it's not that serious of a problem.
Tyth

Post by Tyth »

I'll be damned, I got it to work. I just copied all those essential game files from the CD into my MoM folder, and.. it's running. Heh. Thanks for help, (fast responses too :shock: ), didn't think to check, even try, that debug option if you hadn't mentioned it.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Yeah that is a bit weird... personally I always install the original MoM by copying the whole CD, copying the 1.31 patch over the top, and then running INSTALL to configure it... so I wouldn't have had that problem.

Anyway glad you got it working!

Implode.