Resizeable window

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Implode
Site Admin

Resizeable window

Post by Implode »

This was one of the things I really wanted to see out of MoM IME... this just looks so cool I had to post it :)

Resizeable window in 0.9.3

Lots of work left to do on this... imposing min/max size on the resize, and making sure all the windows are positioned sensibly, but its neat to be able to see the entire 60x40 overland map at once at double zoom :) If you have a big enough monitor anyway ;)

The frame rate is also *really* bad at that size, but that's one of things I'm also hoping to improve for 0.9.3.

Implode.
Lupinedreams

Post by Lupinedreams »

Being able to see most of the world at a glance? Yes please.
Virm

Post by Virm »

nice though this will be, I think I'd rather just have a working minimap in the corner
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Resizeable window

Post by Implode »

Implode wrote:The frame rate is also *really* bad at that size
Well I've been busy working on this - the reason I wanted to do the resizable window (which works really nicely BTW) first is because then it would demonstrate just how bad the frame rate was, so then when I started to rewrite the map drawing I could show how much of an improvement it really made.

Part of the problem is in 0.9.2, initially its pretty quick, but as you see more and more of the map, it slows down. So testing drawing the entire map with the maximum window size, it was initially running at 14 fps. By rewriting the terrain drawing, its now up to 32 fps. I always knew drawing the units was the real bottleneck, so I just did a test to see how fast it will go once I've got these sorted out, and by the looks of it on my PC it'll be running near the 150-160 fps mark!

So my performance tweaks for a while will end there. I'm well aware there's particular screens besides the map that have terrible performance (particularly the unit selection buttons, where it shows you which units you're moving), but I can only solve so much in one go, and want to get on with other stuff for 0.9.3 besides graphical and performance enhancements :) But I'm really happy with how much its improved already even since 0.9.2 :)

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Hits 200 fps on my PC now (compared to *14* fps when I first put the window resizing code in!!!!), so that's plenty good enough. Turning the sync option back off on the options screen so the frame rate is locked at 60 fps, it now feels WAY smoother than 0.9.2, and at a much larger screen size.

Also done the positioning of the child windows within the main window, which move themselves correctly when you resize the main window. So I've updated the screenshot in the link above. :)

So I've been a couple of weeks just working on rewriting the map drawing code and window resizing and not actually making any material improvements to the game, so done enough on that, so onto other things for 0.9.3 :) Still too early for me to guess when it might be ready, especially with Christmas coming. But as I always say, if I feel I'm making progress then I'm happy, even if that progress is a little slow :)

Implode.