better graphics ?

Anything else to do with MoM IME
inquisiteur

better graphics ?

Post by inquisiteur »

Would it be possible to create graphics with higher definition for this game?
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Well... one of the big reasons I abandoned work on another game project is because it wasn't a rewrite of an existing game, so I had to draw every single bit of graphics by hand, which had two effects: 1) it looked reasonable... but it looked say nowhere near as good as MoM, and 2) I was spending ages drawing graphics and no time writing code, so progress was really slow.

As it is, I still have to redraw some of the MoM graphics, in order to up the resoltuion from 320x200 to 640x480, but at least the majority of all the graphics are already available and so I can concentrate on writing the game.

Another thing is I desperately want MoM IME to "look and feel" like the original MoM, and if I redraw all the graphics then it won't. So no I don't really have any plans to majorly enhance the graphics, I actually really like them just the way they are :)

Now on the other hand, I am making a real point of making the game customizable. You can already completely replace all the unit and building graphics, and my aim is to be able to replace all the graphics in the entire game. So if someone else wanted to try their hand at improving the graphics, they're quite able/welcome to do so :)

Implode.
Richrf

Post by Richrf »

I actually kind of lived the MOM graphics, not the overland map so much, but the unit display ...
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I'm glad that it will be possible to replace the graphics. Not that there's anything wrong with the current ones, but I like my graphics sharper now.
Lupinedreams

Post by Lupinedreams »

Customizability is always nice. I'll likely just keep the standard MoM look though, it's quality even if it is low res, and has the nostalgia factor going for it.
CustodianV131

Post by CustodianV131 »

So much nice work on this project!

If the graphics can be changed that would be ace. I also like the old school feel and I think its wise of you to use those, so you can get cracking on the code.

Still if user can change this ala Civilization 3 and 4 then it will be ace. I think civilization 3 might be very good even to lent user created graphics from since with all the fantasy mods, they might have close to all the units needed. But would indeed let this up to the users. Sharper graphics are worthless if the magic (good code) isn't there. If i would not be so strapped for time Iw ould dive right into it now, but alas. Maybe later on.

Keep up the good work!