Progress on 0.8.9

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Implode
Site Admin

Progress on 0.8.9

Post by Implode »

First bunch of screenshots are up.

Seeing the proper city enchantment animations like when casting Dark Rituals is very cool :) It felt like something was really missing without these!

Implode.
inquisiteur

Post by inquisiteur »

I am eager to try your next version, I think that I will really start playing multiplayer seriously as soon as magic and special abilities are enabled.

Thank you for your work
Implode
Site Admin

Sound effects

Post by Implode »

Funny how things work out. After I did sound effects for city enchantments (like the Dark Rituals chanting sound effect), I figured now would be a good time to do all the combat sound effects too.

I did ranged attack sound effects first, and after the bit of work testing which type of attack makes which sound, actually writing the code only took me about 5 minutes... I thought it couldn't possibly be that simple, but it was and it worked fine.

Since then I've been about a week working on sound effects for units walking/flying in combat! I know its only taking so long because I'm stubborn about not hard coding anything (like the skill code for "Flight") and I wanted to make certain improvements like swordsmen with flight cast on them should go "whoosh" when they move, not "clank" :) but still strikes me funny how some things turn out to be so simple to do and others take ages!

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

More updates

Post by Implode »

I was originally hoping to have 0.8.9 out by early Sept. This hasn't happened for three reasons, so just to give everyone a quick update.

Firstly my whole family has been sick. I got sick and was generous enough to pass it onto my wife and we then passed it onto our 14 month old... = lots of sleepless nights :shock:

Second, I'm trying to tie up a large number of loose ends in 0.8.9 before I introduce player/player combat in 0.9.0, so the list of things included in it has grown a lot :) I just uploaded a revised list of what's in 0.8.9, including which ones I've done and which I'm still working on, so take a look at http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/history.html

Thirdly, I ran into two changes which turned out to be huge. Firstly was sorting out how it knows which player(s) combat area effect bonuses apply to. e.g. Prayer only affects the caster, but Darkness affects both. I think I've been about two weeks writing this, and dealing with all the knock-on effects of it. Secondly was just casting spells in combat generally. It currently lets you cast spells, but doesn't charge you mana or skill for them :) That's the next thing I'm working on...

Implode.
CmdrLOBO

Excellent

Post by CmdrLOBO »

Hello Mr. Implode.
I'm a long time fan of MoM. I still have the original retail box,diskettes, and manuals. Played countless games.
It seems every couple of years I do a search on the net for the Holy Grail (A Multiplayer version of MoM). Looks like you are headlong into creating such a trmendous accomplishment.
I'm excited and can't wait to play it. I also want to give you all the encouragement I can in finishing this great project.
I wish I had some or any programming skills to lend, but playing games is as technical as I usually get.
I have atleast three other friends that would jump at the chance to play this in it's completed form.
I'm going to send them the link to your site.
Keep up the great work man :!:
VM

Post by VM »

Hi! I just found this site. Seems like great work so far. Ill check the newest version out later today. Is the source code available?
VM

Post by VM »

Great work so far. I think I could help out with coding, altough Delphi isnt that much my territory.
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

*poke poke*
VM

Post by VM »

poke poke what?
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

you don't wanna know ;)
inquisiteur

Post by inquisiteur »

well; what's new over there ?
Implode
Site Admin

Progress on 0.8.9

Post by Implode »

More screenshots of 0.8.9

Final list of what's in 0.8.9

Have some work on the unit enchantment/curse anims left to do, which is hard to predict how long its going to take, hopefully no more than a few weeks, then 0.8.9 will be out.

Implode.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

WHOHOO!
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Take 4... normally when testing I only test the server & client both running on one PC, with only 1 human player in the game. When I build proper releases I try to spend a few hours doing more serious testing, with the server running on one PC and 2 human players on 2 other separate PCs plus a few AI players.

Tried 4 builds of 0.8.9 so far, and keep finding issues. Relatively minor ones, so I'm glad by testing that I'm finding and fixing them. I thought I'd have it all working and 0.8.9 out yesterday, now I've found a couple more issues it may not even be today, it might be Monday or even Tuesday. Oh well, nevermind. Fixing bugs = progress = I'm happy!

Last screenshots for 0.8.9 are posted (same link as above). The combat spell animations are just too damn cool :)

http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/screensh ... combat.gif

Implode.
Richrf

Post by Richrf »

OMG, all these years people have being trying to make a MOM 2, and they never succeeded, the closest was AOW (too few spells and unimportant wizard abilities) and Dominions (no tactical combat), but you have probably come as close as anyone....