Finally a forum! :)

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Aku

Finally a forum! :)

Post by Aku »

Unfortunately my problems with server are still here. Situation is exactly the same and i get no messages, so maybe this debug version you wrote about is a good idea.
And by the way, a very small request: could you change in the installer the default folder in start menu to which MoMIME is installed or give a user a way of choosing it? Because now it's Games/MoM... and it's rather confusing for non-english windows versions who don't have Games folder but rather a localized version of it.
Implode
Site Admin

Server lock up

Post by Implode »

Aku,

I've put a zip with the debug versions on the downloads page. If you get this, try running the debug server and try to start a game. This should lock up the same way as the regular version. It'll then create a log file - could you email this to me.

Regarding the Games folder in the start menu... unfortunately I can't change it. I use Advanced Installer to create the installation file, and I've looked and looked and it just doesn't seem to have the capability to allow the user to choose the start menu location at installation time... which rather sucks I know. It doesn't look like the professional version lets you do it either. At *some* stage I want to look into whether I can create the installation file myself in which case I'd be able to put this capability in, but that probably won't be for a long time. So sorry about that...

Implode.
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

You could always use some programming tool to create your own installer, VB6, C++.. ;)
Aku

Post by Aku »

Ok. The log made by debug server is very short so i'm posting it here. It loooks like this:

22:23:43:358 Thread 000001B8: TfrmMomServer.cmdNewGameClick reading XML path from registry
22:23:43:358 Thread 000001B8: TfrmMomServer.cmdNewGameClick searching for XML files in 'C:\Program Files\Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition\Server\'
22:23:43:749 Thread 000001B8: TfrmMomServer.cmdNewGameClick found 1 XML files in folder
22:23:43:749 Thread 000001B8: TfrmMomServer.cmdNewGameClick nilling out session description
22:23:43:749 Thread 000001B8: TfrmMomServer.cmdNewGameClick calling

I hope it helps ;)
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

"nilling out session description"? lol
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

What's wrong with nilling? :)

Nulling is C++ speak, its a nil in Delphi :P

Aku, still don't see what's up but next version I'll put a pile more debug messages in to help try to find it.

Implode.
Aku

Post by Aku »

So i'll wait for next version.
But without being technical i'd run this on your computer, compared logs and found out what the server is calling that isn't called on my machine. Logically there should be a problem over there but that's just my theory :P
And BTW nil is also used in Lua script language :P
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

ah.. didn't know that. I only ever did one Delphi project at my old company, so not much experience in it. Still, why can't they just use the same technical terms? null is an industry wide recognised term
*pokes GQ*
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Aku wrote:So i'll wait for next version.
But without being technical i'd run this on your computer, compared logs and found out what the server is calling that isn't called on my machine. Logically there should be a problem over there but that's just my theory :P
And BTW nil is also used in Lua script language :P
Aku, next version is up, put tons more debug messages around this to see if I can find where the problem is. So install the new regular version and then the new debug version and give it another go, and post the log that you get again please :)

Thanks!

Implode.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Happy! Joy! ;) I've discovered something just now. There is no bug at all just a strange behavior of new game window. But from the beginning... I've discovered, that when the server goes "unclickable" i can press alt+f4 and it works again. Never thought about that before. So, maybe the window is there but i can't see it, i thought. And i was right. I've set the 1024x786 resolution and just in the low-right corner of the screen there was a little bit of it visible. Usually i work on 800x600 because of the very old monitor. But surely there is something wrong there just with the positioning of this window since on a resolution higher than mine only a small bit was visible. I can put a screenshot somewhere if you like.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Aku wrote:Usually i work on 800x600 because of the very old monitor. But surely there is something wrong there just with the positioning of this window since on a resolution higher than mine only a small bit was visible.
Ahhh - thanks for figuring this out :) You're right, the window was set to appear in a pre-defined position and that was off the screen at lower resolutions - I've fixed this now (all windows will always appear in the centre of the screen) and put 0.8.6.1 on the downloads page (read the note about having to uninstall first).

I'm running in 1920x1200 so never noticed it was working like that :)

Implode.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Yeah, the new version finally works. It's incredibly slow on my machine though, but i hope there will be more performance increase in the future. I'll try to check things here regularly.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Aku wrote:It's incredibly slow on my machine though, but i hope there will be more performance increase in the future.
Aku,

What speed is your PC then? My laptop is a 3 GHz - versions before 0.8.6 were pretty jerky and slow on that, but with the changes I made in 0.8.6 it now runs pretty nicely. Its not perfectly nice and smooth (about 15.0 frames per second) but its certainly now acceptable.

My older PC which is a 1.5 GHz with an older graphics card it runs at 7.7 frames per second, not great but its still playable.

I got the speed improvement in 0.8.6 by changing the way the terrain (grasslands, sea, desert, etc.), map features (towers of wizardry, lairs, gold, gems, mithril, etc.) and cities are drawn. This was harder than I was expecting it to be so I never redid drawing units, which there are less of (so the performance boost would be less) and they'd be a real pain to redo, so don't know if I'll ever attempt this or not.

What's the speed of your PC? If you run the client with the /fps option on the command line, what frame rate does it show?

Implode.
Aku

Post by Aku »

I have rather old Duron 1.2 GHz and /fps switch shows something from 3.2 to 3.8 fps. That's a slideshow rather than a game if you ask me ;)
Zarakost

Post by Zarakost »

Good to see a forum is here now, Implode! One suggestion, though: perhaps let the forums at least be viewed by visitors who aren't registered. It might encourage more people to sign up if they can see the conversations :)

-Brett
http://www.realmsofhope.com
Lead Programmer, Lead Designer, Webmaster