[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - Still alive :)

Still alive :)

Anything else to do with MoM IME

Re: Still alive :)

Postby gregz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Implode:

We're glad to see you back, but have you considered opening the code base?

Many of us have been checking back here periodically for years. If you had shared the code many years ago we might have had a working playable version years ago.

I don't mean you any disrespect, but you should be aware of the responsibility you assume creating a site/project like this. Thousands of people were very stoked over seeing this completed...about 5 years ago. When you stir up that kind of interest, and just disappear without even leaving a code base for the many fans that come here to work with it's emotionally irresponsible. :cry:

I realize you enjoy the challenge of the project, but why won't you open the source and let others work a fork of this project? If the version you finally end up completeing (assuming you ever do) is superior, then everyone will sing it's praises and play that version. What do you have to lose by sharing the code base? Do you realize how many people you have disappointed by not delivering so long ago and not even leaving code for us? There are pros lurking who might finish a working version in 3 months, why are you shouldering the entire burden yourself when there are so many motivated and talented individuals who could have taken the ball and ran with it?
gregz

Postby MichaelZett » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm very happy that you've continued to work on this project. As a Java (SE/EE) programmer I would join if you decide to take in more capacity :)
MichaelZett

Postby Nehan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:32 am

Michael - there's another MoM remake currently being worked on on http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdis ... ba7ba&f=56 - reMaster of Magic. There's a couple of guys working on it, and I'm sure your help will be useful!
Warsaw isn't a kind of a battle saw. It's the capital of Poland.
Nehan

Postby MichaelZett » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks, but they work with C# and although that's not too different from Java, I'll choose the latter...
MichaelZett

Postby Virm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Virm

Postby Implode » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Implode
Site Admin

Postby gregz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:36 am

Last edited by gregz on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregz

Postby Rev222 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:50 am

Implode,

I'm sorry you have to deal with people who are as offensive, demanding, and petulant as gregz. I assure you that there are many of us who truly appreciate the work you are doing, and eagerly look forward to your succeeding in creating a multiplayer mod. Whether you decide to open the code up or not is entirely your decision. This is your work, your time, and your intellectual property. The fact that some people would rant simply because something you are contemplating as a gift to the community has not been delivered them in accordance with their fantasized fashion is childish and rude.

Keep up the good work Implode, I know there are many of us who were overjoyed to see that you had returned and are making progress (I know I check back frequently to see if there are any more updates). Don't let the fact that some people are rude get you down--there will always be detractors.

Sincerely,
Rev
Rev222

Postby Mountaineer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey Implode,
thanks so much for casting the "Spell of Return"! I stumbled upon this site a couple of years ago and checked back once in a while if the project is still ongoing. MoM is my alltime favourite game and I've never really stopped playing it during the last 15 (!) years. That's why I'm so happy to see the dedication you put in creating your Multiplayer version.
Just signed up to tell you this.
Greetings from Germany and keep up the good work!
Mountaineer

Postby Implode » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 pm

When I started back up I was just trying to finish off getting cities added to the map during game startup... that turned out to be way more involved than I thought, kept running into routines that I had to call that didn't exist yet, so had to convert + test those first, went through that at least 10 times before finally getting the thing finished. Last big piece to do before I go to work on converting the client to talk to the new Java server is getting the fog of war updates written... got quite far into that much more quickly than I expected, but its probably the biggest and most complicated part in all the code. Think I got all the terrain, building and unit updates done and just have spells and CAEs left to do.

I don't know when next I'll get a block a time to do it. Tends to be when I'm not very busy with work, which hasn't happened much lately. I'm busy with work, busy with family and xmas, busy with people needing my help on Perfect World, and somewhere in between all that try to find an odd 5 minutes here and there to work on MoM. So making progress here and there, but as for when I'll have something worth sharing I've no idea.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby Implode » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 pm

I was away with no internet for a week around xmas so got quite a bit done on MoM IME. The massive routine for calculating fog of war changes is finally finished, that's what had held me up for ages, there really isn't much left of the startup code left to do. Then I'd move on to trying to get the Delphi client to talk to it.

That's the good news. The not so good news is due to a lot of factors from cost to the amount of spam email and spam forum registrations I get, and that progress on this project is obviously not as fast as I'd originally hoped, and that I have an awful lot of complications going on in RL right now, I've decided to let the roughseas.ca domain expire. That doesn't mean I'm abanonding work on MoM IME, I just don't want the bother of watching and administering (and paying for) the forum on top of it.

It'll be a few weeks before I can delete it, a while longer before it'll actually expire. After that I've made an e-mail address momime twirly symbol hotmail.ca so anyone who wishes to can reach me there. (Sorry for the obfusticated address, fed up of spam already so don't want to post this address as-is and provoke getting more!)
Implode
Site Admin

Postby gregz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

sourceforge.net
gregz

Postby Tino Didriksen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Tino Didriksen

Postby Virm » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 am

Unless Implode dictates otherwise (or beats me to it), I will be sending a general notice sometime next week that the boards will be going offline.

It is my sincere hope that Implode will continue to work on this project or will release the existing code base to a managed repository in some fashion. (I prefer Github, but I'm likely biased in that regard.)

Implode, if there is anything any of us can do for you or the project, don't hesitate to let us know. We are all eager to do what we can to make this project reach completion.

-Virm
Virm

Postby Implode » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Implode
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General - MoM IME