Still alive :)

Anything else to do with MoM IME
MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote="Implode]Did you install the m2eclipse plugin? When you right click a project do you get the extra "Maven" item (with the little red "m2" icon next to it) on the popup menu?
[/quote]
I had to convert the projects to maven projects (Configure item in context menu). Now install produced the code. The generated code in the folder 'target' was not recognized so I had to add the folder xjc to the classpath of the project.
Now there's only one Eclipse error message left: In pom.xml it says: "Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.cxf:cxf-xjc-plugin:2.3.2:xsdtojava (execution: main-xjc-generate, phase: generate-sources)"
Do you know what that means? EDIT: So, I googled and found this: http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_exec ... ot_covered
It seems that one has to manage the lifecycle of some goals. Perhaps that solves the problem why the generation sometimes does not work. For a start I used the QuickFix to ignore the message...

Edit http://www.roughseas.ca: "Missing artifact com.ndg.common:javautils:jar:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT" it says on XmlEditor.

User avatar
Implode
Site Admin
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Contact:

Re: Still alive :)

Post by Implode » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 pm

MichaelZett wrote:Missing artifact com.ndg.common:javautils:jar:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT" it says on XmlEditor.
Meh, yuck, not surprised... NdgJavaUtils is my old common utils lib, there's some useful stuff there but a lot of junk and certainly a lot nothing to do with MoM, so I was desperately trying to avoid anything needing it, even in places where I've needed e.g. string handling routines I've actually copied them into MoM rather than referencing that lib. Certainly none of the main MoM projects need it.

But not surprised that the XmlEditor is using it. I'll look into that and get it fixed one way or another when I get the chance. I edited the ticket about datetimepicker to say to get this dependency fixed as well (since they're both XmlEditor-related).

As for the other problems you're getting, I really have no clue. Its always been as simple for me as just checking the code out with TortoiseSVN, going to a command prompt, changing to the folder where the code is checked out and where the POM is, doing 'mvn clean install' and it just works.

>> The generated code in the folder 'target' was not recognized
You mean within Eclipse? Sometimes you have to pick (right click on the project, then on the context menu...) Maven -> Update Project Configuration. This basically examines the POM to check e.g. all the source and target folders, and configures the Eclipse project to match. But again... that's exactly why I commit the .project and .settings etc files into SVN so that you shouldn't have to do all that...

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Implode wrote: Meh, yuck, not surprised... NdgJavaUtils is my old common utils lib, there's some useful stuff there but a lot of junk and certainly a lot nothing to do with MoM, so I was desperately trying to avoid anything needing it, even in places where I've needed e.g. string handling routines I've actually copied them into MoM rather than referencing that lib. Certainly none of the main MoM projects need it.
But not surprised that the XmlEditor is using it. I'll look into that and get it fixed one way or another when I get the chance. I edited the ticket about datetimepicker to say to get this dependency fixed as well (since they're both XmlEditor-related).
Okay.
Implode wrote: You mean within Eclipse? Sometimes you have to pick (right click on the project, then on the context menu...) Maven -> Update Project Configuration. This basically examines the POM to check e.g. all the source and target folders, and configures the Eclipse project to match. But again... that's exactly why I commit the .project and .settings etc files into SVN so that you shouldn't have to do all that...
Perhaps it did not work because I installed the plug-ins after I imported the projects. Whatsoever, it works now for the first projects.
I just tried to commit the changed files (.project, .classpath, pom.xml, and a recently unversioned maven file in .settings) and realized that I'm not authorized to do so. I couldn't find a join button either. Could you please add me?

User avatar
Implode
Site Admin
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Contact:

Re: Still alive :)

Post by Implode » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am

MichaelZett wrote:Perhaps it did not work because I installed the plug-ins after I imported the projects.
Yup sounds likely.
MichaelZett wrote:I just tried to commit the changed files (.project, .classpath, pom.xml, and a recently unversioned maven file in .settings) and realized that I'm not authorized to do so. I couldn't find a join button either. Could you please add me?
Done (I think, not added anyone before so hope I did it right), but please let me know what you've changed that you think needs committing, from my point of view all those files are already correct, especially the poms...

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 am

I will try it as soon as I get some time at home again. In short: I used a Quick fix on the message above. That added a lifecycle management tag into the pom.xml that is only used by eclipse to ignore the problem, the build is not harmed. Maybe we should add a ticket that someone looks into this because I assume that with a proper managed lifecycle the problems you mentioned with m2e and generating sources can be resolved. Then there was a maven file in .settings that hasn't been in SVN - perhaps that has something to do with different Eclipse versions (I use Indigo)? I will look into the changes in .project and .classpath. The latter are probably my adding of the target source folders to the projects.

EDIT: removed wron quote roughseas.ca

User avatar
Implode
Site Admin
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Contact:

Re: Still alive :)

Post by Implode » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Fixing the XML editor to not need the date control and NdgJavaUtils is done... and was a real headache trying to decide how best to organize stuff. Basically I split my old NdgJavaUtils library into three, and made a NdgUtils (just had to make the maven artefact a different name :P) containing things that were actually useful and not MoM-specific, moved some MoM specific stuff like reading .LBX files into MoMIMEUtils, and left anything that MoM doesn't need in my own lib (that isn't public on sourceforge, besides it has mostly junk left now). Plus moved the date-specific stuff out of NdgXmlEditor into an extension to this (the extension then isn't on sourceforge because MoM editors don't need it).

Basically at some point the editor needs a general overhaul to reduce/eliminate all the dependencies it has on other libs. I'm happy that at least none of the main MoM IME projects (i.e. client + server) include any of these libs so they're still done neatly; the editor is of lesser priority to get right so can worry about making all this a bit nicer later.

You'll have a lot of pulling down updates to do, check out the additional 2 projects, and maybe a lot of 'Update dependencies' to do in Eclipse... although the Maven plugin in Eclipse seems much better at doing that now - when I was changing the POMs it was fixing all the dependencies itself without me having to tell it to do so (never used to work like that).

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Implode wrote: You'll have a lot of pulling down updates to do, check out the additional 2 projects, and maybe a lot of 'Update dependencies' to do in Eclipse... although the Maven plugin in Eclipse seems much better at doing that now - when I was changing the POMs it was fixing all the dependencies itself without me having to tell it to do so (never used to work like that).
I did a subclipse checkout into a fresh workspace (first checkout I did with Tortoise). I didn't get the maven/pom/.projects - Problems :-)
I could't commit with the old ro-url but couldn't get the rw-url to work either. Have to look into it the next time. Do have an idea?

User avatar
Implode
Site Admin
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Contact:

Re: Still alive :)

Post by Implode » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 am

MichaelZett wrote:I did a subclipse checkout into a fresh workspace (first checkout I did with Tortoise). I didn't get the maven/pom/.projects - Problems :-)
I always:
1) Check out with TortoiseSVN
2) Build on maven command line
3) Fire up Eclipse
4) Do "new Java project"
5) Point it at the right folder and it figures everything out from the files already there
MichaelZett wrote:I could't commit with the old ro-url but couldn't get the rw-url to work either. Have to look into it the next time. Do have an idea?
You modified it to include the project name yes? so e.g. change the portion that says //svn.code.sf.net/p/momime/code/trunk to //svn.code.sf.net/p/momime/code/Java/MoMIMECommon/trunk (or whichever project) ?

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 am

Implode wrote:
MichaelZett wrote:I could't commit with the old ro-url but couldn't get the rw-url to work either. Have to look into it the next time. Do have an idea?
You modified it to include the project name yes? so e.g. change the portion that says //svn.code.sf.net/p/momime/code/trunk to //svn.code.sf.net/p/momime/code/Java/MoMIMECommon/trunk (or whichever project) ?
Yes (the tools do that automatically). I tried it with subclipse and Tortoise. I looked into sourceforge and saw that I am on the project. I still get not authorized.
If I remember correctly, I have not been asked for my credentials.

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I do still get "not authorized".
There are 6 test-errors in NdgUtils, so that it won't be build (XmlEditor, too).
Then I noticed the following Error in ndgMultiplayerSessionBase:
[ERROR] src-resolve: Name "mp:clientToServerMessage" could not be resolved as"type definition.
line 132 of file:.../Workspace_Mom/NdgMultiplayerSessionBase/trunk/src/main/resources/com.ndg.multiplayer.messages/MultiplayerSession.xsd

User avatar
Implode
Site Admin
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Contact:

Re: Still alive :)

Post by Implode » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 am

Eh that's all really weird, works fine for me, what are the 6 test errors you get? There isn't even much in NdgUtils to go wrong...

MichaelZett
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by MichaelZett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Failed tests:
testStartOfDaylightSavingsWorksUnfixed(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)
testEndOfDaylightSavingsFailsUnfixed(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)
testEndOfDaylightSavingsWorksFixed(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)
testCalcDaysBetweenDatesStartOfDST(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)
testCalcDaysBetweenDatesEndOfDST(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)
testCalcDaysBetweenDatesCrossesDST(com.ndg.utils.DateUtilsTest)

Mainly parsing errors of some dates. I did not look into it yet, perhaps a locale thing. Does anyone other than me had success committing something yet?

npilgaard
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by npilgaard » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Excellent idea to revive the old MoM - with multiplayer on top!
The amount of work you have done here is truly impressive!

Thanks for the effort you have put into this. And keep going! ;)

Regards
Nikolaj

gregz
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by gregz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 am

Glad to see this project still has legs, good job Implode.

Image

RockOrSomething
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Still alive :)

Post by RockOrSomething » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:03 pm

If you need a functional copy of the original game, a simple Google search + DOSBox will bear fruit. If the links fail, I keep backups of both on my computer. Send a message to the above username at gmail dot com.

Post Reply