0.9.0 Released

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Implode
Site Admin

0.9.0 Released

Post by Implode »

I was planning to make 0.9.0 the big release where I add in human/human combat, attacking cities and fog of war. However the first thing I had to do for this was to properly separate the map rendering from the server (so that the client could re-render the map every time the fog of war area changes). I've now done this and it (unintentionally) has further increased the frame rate, plus I've tidied up a number of other loose ends, so although its not a major new version in terms of having lots of great new features, its got a number of small improvements and bug fixes so I still think its worth releasing it before I start on fog of war and the other big changes.

So 0.9.0 will now be a minor update, which I'm hoping will be out before the end of the year. Fog of war, human/human combat, attacking cities and so on will now be in 0.9.1.

The full list of changes for 0.9.0, and my revised expected list for 0.9.1, is on the version history/to do list page here.

Aggelon, that change to do with making the city calculations multi-language capable has added about 40 new entries in the language XML file. Let me know if you want me to send you the details of these now and you'll try to get the French XML file done in time to be included in 0.9.0, otherwise I'll just leave this for now until you get around to it :)

Implode.
Last edited by Implode on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammual12

Post by Sammual12 »

Very cool. With a munchkin in the house I have no idea how you can get things done. I have a 2 year old and can do almost nothing when I am home.

Sammual
Warder

Post by Warder »

Fantastic work, and my thanks for updating such a great game. It's sad to see how all the other projects are long since abandoned, but I was happy to come across this site. :)
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

While off from work I've dug Battle Isle: The Andosia War back out, now I have a 24" monitor and decent graphics card to try to play it on, and after owning it for 5 years have only just discovered what an awesome game it is :) Also I'm waiting for a few more bits of hardware to arrive before I rebuild my PC entirely, and I kind of wanted to wait for that to arrive too... so between all that and Christmas, I've done nothing on MoM IME in the past week or so unfortunately!

But I'll pick it back up in the next few weeks, I just enjoy a break from it here and there. Thanks for all your posts of support and encouragement.

Merry Christmas to all,

Implode.
Richrf

Post by Richrf »

Warder wrote:Fantastic work, and my thanks for updating such a great game. It's sad to see how all the other projects are long since abandoned, but I was happy to come across this site. :)
Indeed. I wasn't very interested in this one at first compared to other attempts because the name of the project "Multiplayer edition" made me think it was merely an attempt to hack in a multiplayer component (like the old MMOM). Also I'm not into MP for TB games.

But it's actually much much more!

I wonder how many people thought the same way as me and didn't dig deeper.
Lupinedreams

Post by Lupinedreams »

Implode is a hero to all of us.
inquisiteur

Post by inquisiteur »

agree with the above.

Also Battle Isle: The Andosia War back is an exellent game. Unfortunatly by the time I brought it no one was playing on multiplayer games anymore, so I got bored playing alone after some time....
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

BITAW doesn't strike me as something to be played multiplayer anyway. Even playing in multiplayer mode against the AI I thought a bit weird, it doesn't work nearly as nicely as the campaign. It seems to be it would just always be a race for who can get planes first.

I'm still plugging through it, and still waiting for my new kit for my PC to show up :(

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Ok I'm officially fed up with BITAW, I really enjoyed the first campaign but the 2nd after the first few missions gets unreasonably hard/tedious to the point that its just no longer enjoyable :x So I've given up on it and am getting back on with MoM IME after my couple of week break from it :)

The last thing I'd done mid-December was to make all the terrain graphics and smoothing rules work from the graphics XML file - as it was, this made it take AGES to regenerate the map, which would have made map-changing spells like Change Terrain or Raise Volcano unworkable. So I cached all the smoothing rules, which made it generate the map in about 1-2 seconds :) Only problem was then, caching all the smoothing rules meant the client took 3 minutes to start up. So that was the first thing I had to solve. I sped up the caching routine to make it finish in 50 seconds instead of 3 minutes, and I've made it so it does that 50 seconds in another thread, so its all running in the background while you're choosing a game to join, picking a wizard, choosing spells and a race, which pretty takes 50 seconds anyway, so you hardly notice it now :) So I'm happy again!

So MoM IME is moving forward again :)

Implode.
Sammual12

Post by Sammual12 »

Sweet!

I have been very interested in project for quite some time and it makes me happy to hear updates about it.

Sammual
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Just uploaded 0.9.0 :) As mentioned above, there's actually nothing major in it but I felt there was a good number of loose ends I had to get fixed before tackling fog of war, attacking cities and so on.

Enjoy :D

Implode.
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

I've just read this topic... I was in holiday from 15 dec to 8 jan :D

I'm going to upgrade my IME. Could you mail me the change from 0.8.9 within the language file ?

Or... maybe post it in the language forum, so other translator could see it (spanish and german for now).

Great job, u're really a hero for us !!!!!!