Is IME playable?

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Syagrius

Is IME playable?

Post by Syagrius »

Is it playable or do we need to wait more for updates?

Keep up the good work :)
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Nice to hear someone else showing interest :)

Its playable in that you can build up cities, build buildings and units, research spells, cast summoning spells, put together armies and attack nodes, lairs and towers, and meld your spirits with nodes. However you can't attack other wizards, raiders or other players yet. So, its coming along :)

Implode.
Hammerhands

yes it is

Post by Hammerhands »

my early opinion is the game work done here is fantastic
the game feels like the original but offers so much more

im curious if the multiplayer mode is working properly
where we could attack each other maybe ill fire up a few terminals and experiment with that tonite.

so far ive noticed starvation of troops occurs more often with this version
did someone tweek the food production values?
Also would really like to see multiplayer mode enhanced by custom maps
where settling certain areas would become strategic moves similiar to single player mode where some towns were used for special troops bonuses not population or gold.

As to hunting in the lairs and towers you can defeat the lairs and towers
but you will recieve no rewards nodes yes you make it avail for melding
but you wont attack those too soon in game they have high level MOBS to beat and you get no heros making casting magic in nodes unavail
regular production troops of all one race .. see above raiders are not beatable because they are non aggressive in this release.. dont really stand a chance against Wyrms without magic enhancements.

Also there is an exploit from the original MOM that needs to be dealt with
for multiplayer to be reasonable
say player one takes all books and plays in the top good world
and player 2 take myr (underworld start) and gets fewer books
player 2 will need to learn far fewer spells to get the spell of mastery on list there fore having an advantage in winning

my recomendation is remove the cost of choosing modifiers and set a limit on them as freebies so that in multiplayer mode every player will have the same number of books at game start
also you need to alter game in another way. If player one recieves a book from a node capture as a reward all players in multiplayer need to recieve a book. without this total number of turns needed to win will favor the person with the fewest books.

one other possibility ..I know it changes the game.. is to remove the spell of mastery victory condition.. making it a spell to banish NPC's but unavailable against PC's so that in multiplayer you dont need to worry about book imbalances as winning would then require CONQUEST
also this would need to be examined and played with

in multiplayer mode allow for teams ..players that cant attack each other or others but impose limits on alliances so that if one has life no one can have death and vice-versa in the team.

that way you can hotseat host a game with Good/vs/Evil themes
the actual theme of most good RPG's.
btw im 50 yrs old and a good graphics/3d anim and audio producer and
a well seasoned beta tester. I get invtes to test games without registering :)

Here's a song i made for D.o while in Beta its now called EMH and has alot changed but mostly names of MOBS and level req's its actual lost the intrest of most of the original beta team due to changes that actually made game less fun to play.
http://www.davox.net/Tears.mp3
just a sample of my work
Implode
Site Admin

Re: yes it is

Post by Implode »

Hammerhands wrote:im curious if the multiplayer mode is working properly
where we could attack each other maybe ill fire up a few terminals and experiment with that tonite.
Multiple players can join the same game and move around the map together, but can't attack each other. Attacking moving targets in simultaneous turns games is a PITA to do properly, and is very dependant on how the fog of war works, which I'm not putting in until 0.9.0. So I didn't see the point making it possible to attack other players earlier on and then having to rewrite it all later.
Hammerhands wrote:so far ive noticed starvation of troops occurs more often with this version
did someone tweek the food production values?
No its a bug in the current version due to the order things happen when you click End Turn. I'm trying to get it fixed for 0.8.7.
Hammerhands wrote:Also there is an exploit from the original MOM that needs to be dealt with for multiplayer to be reasonable
say player one takes all books and plays in the top good world
and player 2 take myr (underworld start) and gets fewer books
player 2 will need to learn far fewer spells to get the spell of mastery on list there fore having an advantage in winning
Yes... but the player who takes all one colour books researches spells faster (40% reduction) and gets 50% of the research from those spells put towards their spell of mastery. Not to mention with getting the free rare spell they should just jump across onto Myrror early on in the game and kick the crap out of the other player before they earn much :) On the other hand the player on Myrror gets better cities (better minerals on Myrror), adamantium, and better node/lair treasures. Its the reason I love this game so much, you can pick just about any combination and for one reason or another, it is still a well balanced game. There's *very* little I'm planning to actually change (*cough* Incarnation very rare *cough*)
Hammerhands wrote:also you need to alter game in another way. If player one recieves a book from a node capture as a reward all players in multiplayer need to recieve a book. without this total number of turns needed to win will favor the person with the fewest books.
No, because the person collecting all the extra spell books should be able to annihilate all the other players years before anyone gets near researching the Spell of Mastery. I played a game (of the original MoM) recently where I specifically tried to get as many spells as possible and it just became a joke, I could take out nodes of 9 sky or great drakes with zero effort and not even bothering with half my spells. Honestly, in multiplayer games, I expect no game to ever last long enough for anyone to get the Spell of Mastery.
Hammerhands wrote:is to remove the spell of mastery victory condition..
Yup... that'll be an option, choosable victory conditions.
Hammerhands wrote:btw im 50 yrs old and a good graphics/3d anim and audio producer and a well seasoned beta tester.
I'm 31 so I still feel old in amongst most of the game players on the internet :) And I must say I utterly suck at drawing good graphics from scratch, that's the other reason I chose to work on MoM - all the graphics are predone, I don't have to redraw anything (except upping the resolution on some screens, etc., but I can handle that) There's another game I did basically years worth of work on only to give it up, and that was one of the main reasons, I had to draw every graphic from scratch which 1) took ages and prevented me from writing code and getting the game working, and 2) it looked awful even though it played really well. So hoping not to fall into that trap with MoM :D

I'll check out your song etc. later when I'm on a PC with sound :)

Good to hear from you,

Implode.
elliott20

Post by elliott20 »

Yeah, since I saw the link to implode's engine on Murlock's Wiki, I've been monitoring your progress as well. I'm really hoping this becomes playable soon as I'm dying to try out some modifications of my own too.