Page 2 of 4
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:11 am
I haven't tried out your changes yet. However, I did implement simple idea of right-click on main screen center the map. Try out this patch file on dropbox
and let me know, if it's any good.
I finally had a look at this, I altered it slightly so that the map will only centre if there are no units left to move. So when you right click on the map it will
1) Show the units at that location, if there are any; otherwise
2) Select the next unit that requires movement orders and centre the map on it, if there are any (even if it is nowhere near where you clicked); otherwise
3) Centre the map on where you clicked.
I realise now that the calls between selectNextUnitToMoveOverland () and showSelectUnitBoxes () are a mess, with both methods calling each other back and forth. I traced through it a lot to convince myself that it can't get stuck in an infinite loop here, but I think its fine. I'll merge these into a single method at some point to tidy it up.
What is funny is I thought the hard part of this was the calculations involved in making the map centre on a particular location, taking into account the wrapping edges of the map and the current zoom level, so I was really curious how you solved that. Then I saw you'd called scrollTo () and went to go look for it.. and realised it was something I'd already written and forgotten existed, lol :) I have been at this too long... :)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:49 pm
I've just upload 0.9.7.2 onto Sourceforge :) This now includes the cities screen, raise dead, animate dead, healing, units turning undead at the end of combat if killed by life stealing attacks. Types of damage are now properly recorded so that e.g. you cannot heal damage from Petrify, and cannot raise dead units killed by Disintegrate or Cracks Call.
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 am
I'm glad it works
AndO3131 wrote:What is funny is I thought the hard part of this was the calculations involved in making the map centre on a particular location, taking into account the wrapping edges of the map and the current zoom level, so I was really curious how you solved that. Then I saw you'd called scrollTo () and went to go look for it.. and realised it was something I'd already written and forgotten existed, lol :) I have been at this too long... :)
You've invested a lot of time in this code (both delphi and java). It's around 8 years or more. No wonder you may forget about some parts of it. You have my respect for not giving up
I've been thinking about scrolling in minimap. When I will have something working, I'll send you the code.
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:00 am
Found bug in 0.9.7.2. Conditional bonuses (like Large Shield, Resist Elements - there the bonus only applies depending on the type of incoming attack) aren't working. 2 brackets missing from an "if" in the code :( That'll teach me not to write unit tests :(
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:24 am
It is possible to increase font/dpi of interface? on my pc with resolution 1280*800 and the gui is very small!
Great game, i play mom since two days, but multiplayer is interesting feature
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 am
Not really, the original game ran in 320x200, I've already upscaled most of the screens to 640x400, I couldn't do any further without completely redrawing all the screens. Though I play it in 2560x1600 and find it fine?
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 pm
Unfortunately, not all people are devoid of visual impairment :)
However I believe that on my screen the text is really too small even for average person.
This is a screenshot of my entire desktop:
I took the liberty to draw a green square that matches 1x1 cm of my physical display.
This means that there are 7-8 character in one centimeter, same as a book with small font, but i do not place the monitor at the same distance of a book!
With vanilla mom in dosbox I use a scaled x3 filter and often the fullscreen, but it is not too great because the portion of the game map is always too small.
This is not a complaint, yours project is nice and I hope I can play it with friends in multiplayer. ;)
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:34 am
Yes, I do get your problem, you aren't the first person to say it either. I imagine it would be far worse for someone with one of the newer very high pixel density screens, I have seen 4K screens (3840x2160) as small as 24", I don't get how such a thing is even usable, the text in every application must be tiny. To get a pixel density the same as my current monitor, a 3840x2160 screen would need to be 45" across.
I am just not sure what I am able to do about it, other than suggest that you alter the resolution your screen is set at when playing this game.
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:31 pm
I have four more little complaints/questions:
1) When entering a dungeon / ruin / etc., the original gives you a window telling that "You have stumbled upon <insert name here>. Scouts report that some <insert monster name> were spotted inside. Do you want to enter?" It would be nice to have it here as well. It is true that the monster icons are shown in the squares with dungeons, but a) that only scared me at first (why so many so powerful monsters wander around here?) b) some monsters are rather "invisible" in this manner (if there are sprites inside, you can't see it).
(Alternatively, it could help to include the monster name in the "Surveyor" (F1) report, as did the original when you sticked your nose in this kind of object and ran away.)
2) It is not possible to flee a combat, even though there is a button for it ... Is it a bug, or a known missing feature?
3) Overland spells now can be enqueued, and the contents of the queue viewed using F3. But: is there any way to cancel a spell which I'm already casting? (In the original, there were no queues and when you clicked a spell while casting another, the other as just cancelled.)
4) The "+" symbol in the regular font used for most texts, descriptions and so on, looks very much like a "-". I wonder if the vertical bar of the "+" could be made a little longer?
Other than this, everything works very nice, including the Linux scripts.
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 am
Hey there and thanks for the feedback.
1) I had originally written it like this, so you could not "see" what monsters were inside a node/lair/tower just by standing next to it and instead had to "attack" it even if you then hit "no" in order to scout what was inside. However this got so over complicated, with exceptions to exceptions to rules (e.g. if there are still monsters guarding a Tower of Wizardry then you had to "attack" it to see them, but if another player kills them and leaves his own units guarding the tower then you can see those just by standing next to them). It simplied things so much to remove this. I suppose I could still have the confirmation box pop up to say "Your scouts see <monster name>, do you want to attack" but really, you already know what is there so it seems pointless to have the confirmation box now. I made a long post about it when I made that decision to change it, because I don't like straying away from the way the original MoM worked - http://mom.pjj.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4806
2) Flee is just not written yet
3) Cancelling queued spells is just not written yet (you can see queued spells by hitting F3 so I guess I'll just make them clickable on there?)
4) I'm not really in the business of editing fonts, I spent a considerable amount of time searching around online for fonts which were free, had good coverage of foreign/accented chars, and had a look and feel that was at least something close to the original MoM. So I really wouldn't know what to try here, other than start all over again and try to find a different font to use where the characters are more distinguishable?
While I'm commenting on here, just note to everyone that I'm sorry 0.9.7.3 is taking longer than I expected. I'm trying to add in all remaining Common spells, and making each additional spell work correctly is taking me a week or more for each one, plus generally that I'm really busy with work lately so makes it much harder to find time to work on this. But it is getting there :)
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am
1) I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it, and if it's easier to write this way, then why not.
2, 3) Glad it's not a bug :)
3) Something like that (click the spell to remove it) would be nice.
4) I have explored this matter a little, and I feel rather confused. In the font, the vertical bar is actually not only as long as the horizontal, but somewhat thicker as well. In the game, the vertical is only as thick as the horizontal, and much shorter ... It looks like this: http://s28.postimg.org/uyctlqbql/weird_plus.png
. And since you probably didn't write the font rendering yourself, there's only little to be done, I fear. (Maybe some antialiasing / kerning / hinting settings could make it better, but I don't understand it at all and if I have to do anything with that, I just randomly set the options until I find something acceptable.)
By a completely different way: do you accept new translations? I ponder over translating the game into Czech ...
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 am
ramillies wrote:do you accept new translations? I ponder over translating the game into Czech ...
I would be delighted to see anyone take on any translation work for this. I believe it would be a lot of work to do a brand new Language - at least for French/German there were French/German versions of the original MoM from where I could get things such as the spell descriptions. But you'd be starting from scratch.
Did you look at the file that holds these? In "client/languages/English.Master of Magic Language.xml"? In theory it is as simple as copying, renaming and editing this file, but you can see the size of it and the number of entries. You would be better to edit this via the proper editor supplied in the download, since it will correctly save out foreign characters as UTF-8 in the XML file. Just basic text editors like Notepad probably will not. Anyway happy to help any way I can if you really do want to take this on :)
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:21 pm
I believe I won't have any problems with encoding, since modern Linux systems mostly do everything in UTF-8.
I've looked at the files and at the editor, too. The editor is nicely made. Actually I can't quite decide whether to do it with vim or with your editor. Both have their pros and cons.
As for the work: well, it will be a larger chunk of it, but it doesn't really matter. Rome wasn't built in a single day, as they say.
And the last thing: I've unconvered a little cross-platform bug. On Win, file names are case-insensitive, but on Linux, it's not true. Since game searches for "(languge-name).master of magic language.xml", and there are only "(language-name).Master of Magic Language.xml", changing languages fails (game remains in English and an error message is spit out). However, when the game starts, it looks for "(language-name).Master of Magic Language.xml" ... so it's a little bit chaotic.
Finally, sorry for being silent for so long. I'm a person who likes to maintain excessive number of browser tabs ... and the tab with the forums somehow hid from my sight in the middle of that mess, remaining concealed for more than a month...
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:21 pm
A little question: how strictly have you adhered to the original MoM rules? Some descriptions which were outright wrong or at least misleading in the original game have made it into your language files as well. (Ex.: Sawmill increases production of forest tiles by 25%. In reality, it justs increases town's production by 1/4 of the base as long as there is at least 1 forest tile around the town; Prosperity/Inspirations say that they increase income/production by 50%, but in reality they do by 100% ... ) Shall I try to correct those, or shall I rather leave them alone?
I get all the information from the MoM wiki, which you are certainly aware of. So the question basically is whether you follow its information about what the original actually did, or rather what the original said it was doing.
Another little question: Is it possible to hire heroes? I'd like to see some of the info windows (in order to see whether the translations make sense or not), but even if I took Famous and Charismatic, cast Just Cause, accumulated over a thousand gold and waited 200 turns, no hero did offer their services to me.
And a third little question: some of the fonts are missing some of the accented characters used in Czech. If I hacked them in, would you accept the modifed font files?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 am
ramillies wrote:sorry for being silent for so long
Don't worry about that, 0.9.7.3 is taking me much longer than I would ever have expected, firstly due to me just being too busy with work to find much time to spend on it, and secondly me underestimating how long it would take to code in each spell. Also I started understanding about how Invulnerability and Weapon Immunity both operate and trying t make that work correctly let me down a road of completely rewriting the unit skills model into one huge function that calculates everything all at one time. I'm confident that's been the right thing to do and at the end of it, everything will work much more accurately, but I've been a month doing that alone, and not nearly finished yet.
Heroes: Yes you can get heroes, via the Summon Hero and Summon Champion spells. There are no overland events yet, such as heroes offering themselves for hire.
ramillies wrote:how strictly have you adhered to the original MoM rules? Some descriptions which were outright wrong or at least misleading in the original game have made it into your language files as well
Usually yes, I'll follow whatever the original MoM did. However in places where I believe its very clear how the original game was intended to work, but bugs prevented it from working as intended, then I will correct the bug and make it work how it was meant to. One big example is in restricting which hero items are available for you to find in lairs. A handful of the help text descriptions I have also corrected, but I bet there are plenty more that are wrong, like the one you found. I guess if you make a list of any of these and let me know, I'll go fix the English file from it.
ramillies wrote:some of the fonts are missing some of the accented characters used in Czech
Darn :( And I spent a long time trying to locate free font files on the web that had the right look and feel and font size for MoM, and had good support for accented characters. If any are missing and you have the knowledge on how to modify them then sure go ahead. I wouldn't have any idea how to do that...
ramillies wrote:game searches for "(languge-name).master of magic language.xml"
That's a bug, I'll fix that. It should search for ".Master of Magic Language.xml". Really surprised at that, I'm normally very picky about case and consistency.