[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - 0.9.7

Anything else to do with MoM IME

Re: 0.9.7

Postby ramillies » Mon May 30, 2016 6:54 pm

ramillies

Postby ramillies » Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 pm

The missing glyphs were added. It was only 14 of them in one of the fonts (Č, Ď, Ě, Ň, Ř, Ť, Ů, č, ď, ě, ň, ř, ť, ů), so no big deal. Maybe it sounds like a lot of work, but in reality it was just some copy-paste.

I tested them in the game as well and it works wonderfully.

By the way, do you know about the so-called Plight mod for the original game? It replaces the original bad and vague help-texts with lots of very detailed information. I hacked up a little program to retrieve the texts from the HELP.LBX file and I'll use it as a first validity check, the second being the MoM wiki. I mention it because you might like to use it as a base for the next generation of help-texts.
ramillies

Postby Implode » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 pm

I thought it was about time I posted what I've been so busy doing. I had started 0.9.7.3 intending to just work down the list of spells and unit skills that didn't yet work and get perhaps not all of them finished, but quite a few. That in itself was taking longer to do each spell than I expected, since every one required coding in some new unique effect.

Then I came to Weapon Immunity and started trying to list and test all the things than can punch through it (summoned creatures, units built with alchemy, spells such as Holy Weapon or Flame Blade, etc) and then started to think, what about the Invulnerability spell - that grants Weapon Immunity as one of its effects. So I posted on the MoM Wiki about it and confirmed what I suspected, that an attacker with say Flame Blade cast on it will punch through the Weapon Immunity portion of Invulerability, but not the -2 damage reduction portion. And my skill model just couldn't cope with that.

In fact the whole way unit stats were calculated was like a massive spider web. Lets say you want to know what a unit's attack strength is, there's a piece of code that worked that out. But to know that, you had to first know its experience level, since experience grants a +attack bonus. To know its experience level, you first have to look up the value of its experience skill, but also chest the owning wizard's retorts (for Warlord) and spells (for Crusade). Every unit stat method called every other one and, it made it pretty difficult to follow precisely what was happening and where things like Invulerability's Weapon Immunity effect should be added in. Not to mention how wasteful it was - in the process of resolving one attack from a unit, it would probably calculate their experience level 20+ times, every time their attack or defence stat was referenced.

So I realised what would be much cleaner to follow, maintain and test would be to throw away all the individual unit calculation methods calling each other in a web, and have one huge piece of code that calculated every possible piece of information about a given unit. Then it could do so in a sequential manner (like, apply all spell effects, then apply all skills that grant secondary effects, then apply bonuses from experience, and so on). That alone wasn't too difficult, and it works very nicely indeed. Then I was a while testing it and proving that it coped with all the complicated situations that the old code struggled with. Hurray :)

Then came the real problem. I had to retrofit the new unit calculation super method back into every single place in the game that did anything at all to do with units, which is pretty much the entire game. I had several attempts initially at how to even approach the size of this task before I found a workable way to do it gradually rather than one massive rewrite, but still, it has taken me literally months to do. I've just now finished this.

So, that's as much as I plan to do on 0.9.7.3. I didn't get all the spells and skills working that I wanted, but I did get this mammoth unit calculation rewrite completed and that's of far greater significance. Its all done now, but I need to spend some time retesting as much as I possibly can. Since this has touched practically every piece of code in the game, the entire thing needs retesting - every skill, every spell, every immunity to see what is working and what isn't. I'll try to get at that over the next few weeks so I can release it.

After that I need a bit of a break from it (and to get some breathing space so I can fix bugs people will inevitably find), and after that I'm going to work on the AI. That's the biggest most important missing piece right now and is more important than finishing off missing skills and spells.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby Implode » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Just uploaded 0.9.7.3 onto Sourceforge :) I've spend a good while over the last week or so testing this and fixing odd bugs in it so I hope its unlikely anyone will run into any significant issues, but if you do please post them on here to let me know about it.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby Implode » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Found 1 significant bug so far - you can't capture cities which have no units defending them, doing so causes a crash.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby Talonos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Just wanted to say I just found this project, and I am extremely excited by it.

Thank you for all your hard work. Having a visible, open-source codebase would make it that much easier for modders to create their own add-ons and expansions.

What's the best way to help out with this? Bug reports?
Talonos

Postby ramillies » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:18 pm

It's great to see that you've been able to get rid of these problems. Just a quick question: have the text tables changed? I'm working my way through them slowly but steadily (but hey, they are a big lot of text, and a large portion of it wrong or misleading). Should anything be updated?
ramillies

Postby Implode » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 am

Implode
Site Admin

Postby ramillies » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 pm

Perhaps I should reformulate it like this: Did the English language file change? I still translate it to Czech (slowly) and the translation is based on the previous version, so I wanted to know if there are any additions or modifications to be aware of.

And, moreover, I would like to ask you something about touch attacks. When and how often are they performed? In original MoM they came along with every ranged, melee, thrown, breath and gaze attack, which could easily cause them to be applied more than once during a single exchange. Is it so in MoMIME as well? (This causes some weird effects, like Bowmen + Immolation = Strength 4 Fireball Shooting Machine (TM), and that's the reason I ask,)
ramillies

Postby Implode » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

Implode
Site Admin

Postby ramillies » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:51 am

ramillies

Postby Implode » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 am

Implode
Site Admin

Postby ramillies » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:24 pm

ramillies

Postby Implode » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Several bugs had been found in 0.9.7.3, three of which were game breaking, so I felt it was worth fixing these and doing a 0.9.7.4 build rather than waiting to finish the AI work I'm doing for 0.9.8, so just uploaded this new build onto Sourceforge.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby Blake00 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:37 am

fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!
Blake00

PreviousNext

Return to General - MoM IME