[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - My first 'Impossible' Victory

My first 'Impossible' Victory

Played a particuarly interesting game or with an unusual setup? Here's somewhere to talk about it.

My first 'Impossible' Victory

Postby Lucern » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Lucern

Postby Richrf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Richrf

Postby Lucern » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:16 pm

You're right Richrf, I did play defense. I was actually intending to be aggressive, because past impossible games didn't work out when I was defensive. This time, however, there wasn't much else to take. Oberic was not expanding like I thought he should be, and he was doing it with Klackons, who don't inspire me to attack anyone until they have Stag Beetles. He had a pathetic 6 cities when I took him down, and he had the time. He was also putting them on worthless land - right in the desert, right on the ice, etc. My only relatively early assault was on Oberic. I took the only neutral city on the whole island, and the island was huge. Very odd.

Slingers were a blessing much more than paladins, mainly because my primary opponent had nothing but draconian cities, and tended to do the "I'm not attacking if I don't have to" thing when you're trying to take one from him. My hero casters/archers and my slingers made that game much more enjoyable.
Lucern

Postby Implode » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:12 am

Yeah playing defensively on Impossible doesn't work too well. One of the easier strategies is to get some killer units very early on (my favourites being Basilisks or Wraiths) and go on a rampage, taking out all nearby neutral cities, a few monster lairs, and even a node or an enemy wizard if you're lucky. For fast starts, it works even better than Life magic.

Since playing defensively is difficult, I tried playing a game on Impossible where I only kept my starting city - I could go out and attack any enemy cities or wizards I wanted, by always razed them (but keeping enough of an army to defend your city AND be able to attack is hard). Likewize you can capture nodes, but splitting your army to enable you to defend them is hard.

It took me a few tries to manage (first attempt Jafar cast Time Stop on me!) but I did eventually win it. Awful score (5295) but that's hardly surprising. Give it a go, it is really quite challenging :)

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Return to Game reports