[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition • View topic - French language file

French language file

Discussions about creating additional language XML files to translate the MoM IME client into other languages

French language XML file

Postby Implode » Sun May 21, 2006 9:52 pm

>> For the translation, YES, I would like to download the editor.
Ok, I will make an editor for the language file and post all 3 editors for download ASAP. I'll probably do so before I finish 0.8.8, so give me a week or so...

>> If the name of the file is incorrect (with a 'ç' for example into the word 'Français'), it creates an error
(http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen20.jpg).
Yes its complaining that the original MoM fonts don't include a ç character - I expected that would happen, thanks for trying it out. I'll definitely work on that, but its going to be a bit of a bigger job so I'll probably do it after I'm finished with 0.8.8.

>> At this time (while the font is not modified), the accent within the XML file creates an error too(http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen13.jpg).
That's because you're editing the file directly - if you used the editor (which doesn't exist yet :D ) that wouldn't happen. You would however get the same error as above, because the MoM fonts don't include the accented characters.

>> In the French edition of the Original MoM...
I never realised there was one! I knew some guy had tried to modify the LBX files to translate as much of the game as possible, but it wasn't an "official" French version. I'm downloading it now, I'll take a look - I may be able to build a lot of the language XML file from the LBX files in that download. So let me look at that first before you do too much work on it...

>> The original text does not include accent (http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen10.jpg &
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen11.jpg)
Maybe the french font is the same as english one ?
Yes it is... hence no accents... which I will sort out.

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby aggelon » Mon May 22, 2006 10:13 am

Last edited by aggelon on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 am, edited 7 times in total.
aggelon

Editors

Postby Implode » Sun May 28, 2006 3:28 pm

Implode
Site Admin

'Small' font

Postby Implode » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:35 pm

I've added to the 'small font', used for the names of the language files, race and wizard selection buttons, help text and other elements to include accented characters, so this will be in 0.8.8, which should be available in a couple of weeks.

I couldn't fit accents on the upper case letters, the font just isn't big enough, but the lower case letters I don't think look too bad.

I've not tried to extract any of the text from the LBX files that came with the French version of the original MoM yet - that's the next thing I'm going to do.

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

Postby aggelon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Hey !!!! Nice :D

I have translated a part of the file, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to extract descriptions from the original french LBX.

Actually, I see many bad translations inside it :( and I'd prefer mine (I use to translate games from english to french, see http://aggelon.free.fr/frenchdf/livres.html or http://aggelon.free.fr/frenchdf/quetes.html for the biggest ones where I'm translator, corrector/proofreader and project manager) but I'm not an author, and I've always thank the function of a translator is simply to translate, not to correct or improve the originals... (except involuntary misinterpretations)

So, finally, I think I have to keep to official translation and to push it into IME and not to push my own translation of the original english version to get an unofficial translation :(

Maybe I'm going to product each one : original-french.language.xml and aggelon's-release-french.language.xml as an add-on, and the players will choice.

But before to do that, I prefer to ask your preference, maybe you don't want IME is going overloaded by many unofficial and psychedelic releases :D

Great to get accents !!!
aggelon

Postby aggelon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:04 pm

Add:

- Firstly, don't care about accent on the uppercase letters, in original french language, there are NO accent on it !!! This is an error to put them on.

- In the original french version, we can see the translators have forget accent, here inside BUILDESC.LBX ( http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen36.jpg ) but it is not displayable at screen cause of the english font ( http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen35.jpg )

- According to me, the translators mistaken at some points. For example, every french player know the 'Ombre de la Nuit' which is a litteral translation of Nightshade, but, actually, in the game and in the reality, the nightshade is a family of evil plants.

This nightshade family of evil plants, all poison and used within black rituals, includes:

- the Deadly Nightshade/Raging Nightshade/Belladona
(la Belladone, connue aussi/aka Morelle furieuse,Cerise du Diable (Cherry of Devil) ou Herbe Empoisonnée(Poisoned Herb))

- the Black Nightshade (la Morelle Noire).

- the Woody Nightshade (la Morelle Douce-Amère, aka Crève-Chien (Kill-Dog) or Herbe à la Fièvre (Herb of the Fiver))

- the Stramonium/Thorn Apple (la Datura Stramoine aka Pomme Epineuse, Herbe aux Magiciens (Herb of Wizards), Herbe à Taupe (Herb of Mole), Herbe du Diable (Herb of Devil))

- the Mandrake (la Mandragore, aka Bonne-Mere (Good-Mother), or Grande-Dame (Great-Lady))

As you can see, the Nightshade is a family of several plants, which 4 of them get the full word of Nightshade in their name. The common translation of Nightshade is Morelle (the black one is the common), so the family is known into french as 'Morelle'. If we speak about Stramoine or Mandragore, we specify its name, so I think the usage of Nightshade should be translated by Morelle.

I think the mistranslation cannot stay in your new version of MoM, cause 'Ombre de la Nuit' doesn't exist in french, and always make me think to a strange name of a black RITUAL (The Shadow of the Night), not a plant.

What do you think about it ?
aggelon

Postby aggelon » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:36 pm

We're going to have to cheat or "short for" ours translations.

Anyone can let here a "to do list":
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen40.jpg
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen41.jpg
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen42.jpg
aggelon

Extract from French original LBX files

Postby Implode » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:30 am

Implode
Site Admin

Postby aggelon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:35 pm

aggelon

Postby Implode » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:29 pm