French language file

Discussions about creating additional language XML files to translate the MoM IME client into other languages
Implode
Site Admin

French language XML file

Post by Implode »

>> For the translation, YES, I would like to download the editor.
Ok, I will make an editor for the language file and post all 3 editors for download ASAP. I'll probably do so before I finish 0.8.8, so give me a week or so...

>> If the name of the file is incorrect (with a 'ç' for example into the word 'Français'), it creates an error
(http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen20.jpg).
Yes its complaining that the original MoM fonts don't include a ç character - I expected that would happen, thanks for trying it out. I'll definitely work on that, but its going to be a bit of a bigger job so I'll probably do it after I'm finished with 0.8.8.

>> At this time (while the font is not modified), the accent within the XML file creates an error too(http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen13.jpg).
That's because you're editing the file directly - if you used the editor (which doesn't exist yet :D ) that wouldn't happen. You would however get the same error as above, because the MoM fonts don't include the accented characters.

>> In the French edition of the Original MoM...
I never realised there was one! I knew some guy had tried to modify the LBX files to translate as much of the game as possible, but it wasn't an "official" French version. I'm downloading it now, I'll take a look - I may be able to build a lot of the language XML file from the LBX files in that download. So let me look at that first before you do too much work on it...

>> The original text does not include accent (http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen10.jpg &
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen11.jpg)
Maybe the french font is the same as english one ?
Yes it is... hence no accents... which I will sort out.

Implode.
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

EDIT 14.04.2008 :

Aggelon sent me the French file for 0.9.3 a week or so ago but its taken me a while to get around to looking at it, been really busy on 0.9.4!

But anyway I had a quick look, there's a few bits of text which overflow the space they have available on the screen which I'll try to fix in a later version. Besides this it should all work fine.

So download the file here http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/Francais.zip and unzip it into your MoM IME installation folder, over the top of the Français.Master of Magic Language.xml that's installed with 0.9.3.

Big thanks to Aggelon for putting all the work into this translation again Smile

Implode.

The last release for 0.9.1 can be downloaded at
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/RC1- ... nguage.zip

Unzip it within the C:\Program Files\Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition\Client\Languages directory

Vous pouvez trouver la dernière mise à jour à
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/RC1- ... nguage.zip

Décompresser dans C:\Program Files\Master of Magic - Implode's Multiplayer Edition\Client\Languages directory

OK, so let's wait you extract from the french version first...

So you can wait too for creating the editors :D
(hmmm 'wait too for', looks bad english phrase :D )

Aggelon.
Last edited by aggelon on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 am, edited 7 times in total.
Implode
Site Admin

Editors

Post by Implode »

aggelon wrote:OK, so let's wait you extract from the french version first...

So you can wait too for creating the editors :D
The editors are on the downloads page now. Other than the few notes on that page about how to install them, I'm hoping they should be fairly self-explanatory, but if you have any questions then ask.

If you use the Language file editor, you shouldn't get your error here if you use accented characters because it should save them correctly in the XML file (could you give it another go please?)
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen13.jpg

However you still won't actually be able to use accented characters yet, because you'll just get this error instead:
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen20.jpg

until I manage to do some work on adding to the MoM fonts... which since I still don't have a new hard drive for my laptop (and so I don't want to try making big changes), I'll probably start looking at this quite soon.

Implode.
Implode
Site Admin

'Small' font

Post by Implode »

I've added to the 'small font', used for the names of the language files, race and wizard selection buttons, help text and other elements to include accented characters, so this will be in 0.8.8, which should be available in a couple of weeks.

I couldn't fit accents on the upper case letters, the font just isn't big enough, but the lower case letters I don't think look too bad.

I've not tried to extract any of the text from the LBX files that came with the French version of the original MoM yet - that's the next thing I'm going to do.

Implode.
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

Hey !!!! Nice :D

I have translated a part of the file, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to extract descriptions from the original french LBX.

Actually, I see many bad translations inside it :( and I'd prefer mine (I use to translate games from english to french, see http://aggelon.free.fr/frenchdf/livres.html or http://aggelon.free.fr/frenchdf/quetes.html for the biggest ones where I'm translator, corrector/proofreader and project manager) but I'm not an author, and I've always thank the function of a translator is simply to translate, not to correct or improve the originals... (except involuntary misinterpretations)

So, finally, I think I have to keep to official translation and to push it into IME and not to push my own translation of the original english version to get an unofficial translation :(

Maybe I'm going to product each one : original-french.language.xml and aggelon's-release-french.language.xml as an add-on, and the players will choice.

But before to do that, I prefer to ask your preference, maybe you don't want IME is going overloaded by many unofficial and psychedelic releases :D

Great to get accents !!!
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

Add:

- Firstly, don't care about accent on the uppercase letters, in original french language, there are NO accent on it !!! This is an error to put them on.

- In the original french version, we can see the translators have forget accent, here inside BUILDESC.LBX ( http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen36.jpg ) but it is not displayable at screen cause of the english font ( http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen35.jpg )

- According to me, the translators mistaken at some points. For example, every french player know the 'Ombre de la Nuit' which is a litteral translation of Nightshade, but, actually, in the game and in the reality, the nightshade is a family of evil plants.

This nightshade family of evil plants, all poison and used within black rituals, includes:

- the Deadly Nightshade/Raging Nightshade/Belladona
(la Belladone, connue aussi/aka Morelle furieuse,Cerise du Diable (Cherry of Devil) ou Herbe Empoisonnée(Poisoned Herb))

- the Black Nightshade (la Morelle Noire).

- the Woody Nightshade (la Morelle Douce-Amère, aka Crève-Chien (Kill-Dog) or Herbe à la Fièvre (Herb of the Fiver))

- the Stramonium/Thorn Apple (la Datura Stramoine aka Pomme Epineuse, Herbe aux Magiciens (Herb of Wizards), Herbe à Taupe (Herb of Mole), Herbe du Diable (Herb of Devil))

- the Mandrake (la Mandragore, aka Bonne-Mere (Good-Mother), or Grande-Dame (Great-Lady))

As you can see, the Nightshade is a family of several plants, which 4 of them get the full word of Nightshade in their name. The common translation of Nightshade is Morelle (the black one is the common), so the family is known into french as 'Morelle'. If we speak about Stramoine or Mandragore, we specify its name, so I think the usage of Nightshade should be translated by Morelle.

I think the mistranslation cannot stay in your new version of MoM, cause 'Ombre de la Nuit' doesn't exist in french, and always make me think to a strange name of a black RITUAL (The Shadow of the Night), not a plant.

What do you think about it ?
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

We're going to have to cheat or "short for" ours translations.

Anyone can let here a "to do list":
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen40.jpg
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen41.jpg
http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen42.jpg
Implode
Site Admin

Extract from French original LBX files

Post by Implode »

Implode wrote:I've not tried to extract any of the text from the LBX files that came with the French version of the original MoM yet - that's the next thing I'm going to do.
Quick update, I've got most of everything extracted from the LBX files from the French version of the original MoM. All I have left to look at is the names of all the unit skills - not sure where to get these from - I added all the English ones in manually. So I should be able to send it to you in a couple of days.

Some things I've intentionally not translated (they're still in English) because its text that I wrote myself. e.g. the 'Advantages' and 'Disadvantages' of each race I wrote - the help text page for each race in the original MoM is (IMHO) pretty useless. Also map features, terrain types and some other elements (e.g. 'Forest', 'Nature Node', 'Abandoned Keep') I've not translated since I've no clue where to get these from and it'd take me ages to find them all by playing the original French version... whereas I figured you'd know what to write for these straight away.

Hopefully all the names & prefixes for the units are correct... my level of French knowledge is just about enough to know when Babelfish gives me a stupid translation but that's about it I'm afraid :) My favourite is 'Great Drake' which it translates as 'Grand Canard'.... Great Ducks? :)

Likewise I hope I have all the hero names correct (they never appear as a complete name in the original MoM so I had nothing to go on here), so I have e.g. 'Brax le Nain', 'Veronica la Barde', 'Aerie L'Illusioniste', 'Warrax le Guerrier du Chaos'. But anything I've done wrong I was hoping you'd be able to spot and fix!
aggelon wrote:Maybe I'm going to product each one : original-french.language.xml and aggelon's-release-french.language.xml as an add-on, and the players will choice.
Up to you... personally I'd say just keep the one file and change it if you think it makes sense to do so. There's descriptions I've altered in the English XML file where I saw fit to do so (mostly in places where the help text in the original game was wrong), so if you can improve on the text from the original then do so.

BTW (with my limited knowledge of French... so I'm probably being stupid here) but some of the unit names just don't seem right:
1) Magic Spirit = Esprit Magique (fine), but also Fire Elemental = Esprit du Feu, wouldn't that be more "Fire Spirit"?
2) Demon = Démon (fine), but Demon Lord = Seigneur du Mal? Why not something like Seigneur des Démons?
3) Great Wyrm = Grand Ver = Great Worm? Sounds like you're going to be attacked by a ferocious earthworm :)
4) Sky Drake = Dragon du Ciel (and similarly Great Drake = Grand Dragon). I always took the 'Drakes' in the game to be miniature dragons - full size dragons would just toast any other unit in the game. That's why they're not called 'Sky Dragon' and 'Great Dragon' in the English version, yet it seems that's what they're called in the French version. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Implode.
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

Don't worry about LBX extraction from french release : it did it myself with your lbxextract as I said.

OK, I'going to improve the translation quality (like for the NightShade).

Great Ducks :D LOL
"map features, terrain types and some other elements (e.g. 'Forest', 'Nature Node', 'Abandoned Keep') I've not translated "
Don't worry, firstly, I'm translating ALL your own production inside the XML file.

"Hopefully all the names & prefixes for the units are correct... my level of French knowledge is just about enough to know when Babelfish gives me a stupid translation but that's about it I'm afraid My favourite is 'Great Drake' which it translates as 'Grand Canard'.... Great Ducks?
But anything I've done wrong I was hoping you'd be able to spot and fix! "
I'm not sure to understand : you're translating into french ? :shock:

I've yet translated from the beginning to Unit Skills !!!
see http://aggelonware.free.fr/mom/ime/screen44.jpg

I believed you understood it, didn't you ?
Some translations don't let me satisfied, but I will improve them later.
"Fire Elemental = Esprit du Feu, wouldn't that be more "Fire Spirit"?

You're right. Should be "Elemental de Feu".
But, it is not very shocking, because in french Spirit is quite equal to Soul, but can be quite equal to Essence, and maybe Essence could be equal to Elemental, but.... not well. Elemental is the best.

"Demon Lord = Seigneur du Mal? Why not something like Seigneur des Démons?"
Yes, it is one of the bad translations of the original french release.
Actually, Seigneur Demon (single), cause Seigneur is a title, like your Lord, and if you add 'des', you mean Seigneur=Chief, Boss (hierarchy)
"Great Wyrm = Grand Ver = Great Worm? Sounds like you're going to be attacked by a ferocious earthworm"
Like in Dune :D
Actually, Wyrm is the Vouivre, a very very complex figures of paganism, linked to celticism and earth/water/air elements, etc... I can post the mails from Daggerfall where we've discuss about this translation few months ago.
"Sky Drake = Dragon du Ciel (and similarly Great Drake = Grand Dragon). I always took the 'Drakes' in the game to be miniature dragons - full size dragons would just toast any other unit in the game. That's why they're not called 'Sky Dragon' and 'Great Dragon' in the English version, yet it seems that's what they're called in the French version. Any suggestions? "

You're right and wrong.
In french, there is no word to distinguish dragons :(
So, it's right when we say dragon, everyone think to Greats Dragons, but actually, some little lizards of Australia are called dragon too, cause actually Dragon is a family of "animals" :D
So I think Dragon is a good translation, it was difficult to get a best one... maybe Dragonet (=Tiny Dragon) ? But this word doesn't make think anything to anyone :(

Hoping none of us worked for void,
Aggelon.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

aggelon wrote:Don't worry about LBX extraction from french release : it did it myself with your lbxextract as I said.
That's a lot of work doing it like that! It only extracts the raw data, it doesn't format it in any way! I also have a tool I'd used to extract the text out of some of the XML files - which is where I got the English text from - but this didn't work on some of the French LBX files until I tweaked it somewhat, and even getting the text out of here was too much work copying & pasting.

What I've done now, to do it properly, is add buttons into the Language XML editor. So e.g. from the "Edit Buildings" screen, you can click Import, it'll ask you where to get BUILDDAT.LBX from, and you can give it either the English or French BUILDDAT.LBX file, and it'll pull all the descriptions out for you. I was trying to save you some work :) Especially for spells - there's 214 of them, all of which have separate names, descriptions and help text! I figured pulling in all that text manually would take ages!
aggelon wrote:I'm not sure to understand : you're translating into french ?
Not really, all I wanted to do was get the unit prefixes correct (hopefully) since I understand what they're used for so I wasn't sure you'd know what to do with these... so had to use Babelfish to find out whether the prefix needed to be e.g. un Ange or une Ange :)
aggelon wrote:I've translated from the beginning to Unit Skills !!!
In that case... I won't waste time trying to get the unit skills done myself and I'll just send you the file I have so far, so check your email :) By the way, I expect some of the unit skill variables such as:
"AMMO_REMAINING out of SKILL_VALUE_US132 RAT_NAME remaining"
will require some explanation, so if you need any help figuring out how to do these then let me know. The help text for the Experience skill is particularly complicated (and some parts of it are hard coded in English I'm sure...)

I've used accents in the filename and in the text in the file. So you won't be able to use it in 0.8.7. In fact, it doesn't work properly in 0.8.8 yet either but I'll fix that. But go ahead and put accents everywhere that they should be - don't leave them off just because the game won't work with them yet.

Hopefully you won't have too big of a task trying to merge together the file I send you and what you've already done! When you've got it all sorted out, email it back to me, then I try it out with 0.8.8 and make sure it all works, and include it when I make the new version available :)

Thanks,

Implode.
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

:x :x :x :cry:

my **** hard drive crashed :?

not seen by the BIOS or other BIOS of others PCs.

even after trying to shock it again the table :(

I've lost all my data from the latest save to now, and this save (some weeks ago) doesn't include IME's XML file translation :( :( :(

I have to start it again from the beginning.

I will not be ready for 0.8.8, but I did not lost last mail, cause reading it form webmail.

I'm going to answer you in few days.

I have to order a new disk, reinstall the OS, the softs, the DosBox and whatever... my save, and download from the web the lastest release of my 2 websites.

sad. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Oh no! Someone out there doesn't like MoM IME, first my hard drive dies, now yours! You have my sympathy, having had to just go through reconfiguring two PCs myself (one to use while my laptop was dead, and then to reinstall the OS and a ton of apps on my laptop once the new hard drive arrived).

In the end I didn't lose anything, but I had a lot of fuss trying to get some of it off (the work I'd done on the editors), so maybe if you put the hard drive into another PC (rather than trying to boot from it) you might be able to get odd files off?

Best of luck with it,

Implode.
nazrix

Post by nazrix »

bakcups, backups ;)
aggelon

Post by aggelon »

Hey, I'm back from hollidays :D

I'm still continuing to translate from the 0.8.7 xml language file.

I have to re-check my e-mail too, about the translation u send to me...

See you soon,
Aggelon.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

No problem, I've been out of touch for a while too - I had to go away for a few days for work, and have been frantically trying to get 0.8.8 finished, and not checking the forum.

If you can, send me whatever you've got done on the French XML file ASAP. I'll be releasing 0.8.8 in a few days, so I'll include the French XML file in that in whatever form it is at the time, even if its only the version that I emailed you that I extracted from the LBX files.

Thanks,

Implode.