didn't notice to-do that need done

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
stew

didn't notice to-do that need done

Post by stew »

sorry if its there, but i just didn't see it. most of it is minor, and i haven't explored the whole forum or the whole game, but i noticed these small things.

1. no right-click text for most UI thats not play screen (city screen food, population to see which sybmol means what for revolting working and farming, main screen food, magic, etc. basically a whole lot of general help stuff. it was amazing helpful in the original game).

2. no "turns till done" text above the gold dots in city screen for building units/buildings.

3. diagonal scroll for the bottom but not for the top of the map screen. Also, scroll speed would be nice for this type of scrolling.

4. right click to center screen on position.

5. screen show units on top of cities (you probably do have this on your to-do list

6. units with movement of 1 avoid mountains, even though the mountains don't impede movement for them.

I'll edit this post as it comes, but its mostly minor and doesn't matter. maybe you should just check back when you run out of things to do :)

tell me to remove something and i will.
Coyote

Version 9.1

Post by Coyote »

Version 9.1

Adding on the list of to-do. I double checked it against your list of to-do, and didn't see them listed. None major, no bugs spotted (yet).

Buildings queues
- when selecting what to build, add unit cost to text description
(you might be waiting on this until you incorporate reduction costs for units, but one could at least get the building costs in)
- add text displaying how many turns until completion

Map generation
- incorrect map image for when river meets ocean. An inlet should be visible. This could be because the ocean square was unexplored.
- (annoyance) looking over the ocean, land appears to be a stone's throw away because its "unexplored".

Menu bars
- "Game" bar doesn't do anything yet - which means no save routines, or nice way to exit game

Food/Gold
- Shows negative gold production even though enough surplus food is being generated to create a "net" gold surplus. The treasury seemed to be calculating correctly adding the correct amount of new gold per turn.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

1) UI text - yes that's not been written yet
2) Yeah its a pain in the butt to do - but thanks for reminding me, I've made sure its on the to do list
3) Diagonal scrolling works on all 4 corners of the map if you get the cursor in the right place. I'll add scroll speed to the to do list, this is a nice idea.
4) Right click to centre map - yes that's not been written yet

5) screen show units on top of cities
I kind of like it, although it does of course make it hard to see there's a city underneath. What I'd like is like to do is like the old civilization games which showed a shield next to the city showing the number of units inside... which is a bit of work, hence why I've not done it yet!

6) units with movement of 1 avoid mountains
Erk, yeah, I know... but taking that into account in the movement routine is VERY difficult. The original MoM actually worked exactly the same way.

7) when selecting what to build, add unit cost to text description
I just tried it - units DO dislay their cost but buildings DON'T. They're supposed to, I'll look into fixing this.

8 ) incorrect map image for when river meets ocean. An inlet should be visible. This could be because the ocean square was unexplored.
Precisely - that's how its supposed to work. I take it it changed to the correct tile when you'd explored more and could see the ocean tile?

9) looking over the ocean, land appears to be a stone's throw away because its "unexplored"
Yes... I'd rather it defaulted to Ocean... I'll change it if I can figure out how

10) "Game" bar doesn't do anything yet - yes that's not been written yet (and won't be for a while)

11) Shows negative gold production even though enough surplus food is being generated to create a "net" gold surplus
MoM IME doesn't show the gold you get from selling surplus food in your +/- gold per turn, its on the list of differences from the original MoM. To fix it would require me hard coding in the resource IDs which I'm really loathed to do so its unlikely I'll ever change this... I'm hoping everyone will just get used to it. (I'm amazed people actually play with producing surplus rations... I always set my farmers every turn to be producing at most +2 rations).

Implode.
klausbreuer

Re: didn't notice to-do that need done

Post by klausbreuer »

6) units with movement of 1 avoid mountains
Erk, yeah, I know... but taking that into account in the movement routine is VERY difficult. The original MoM actually worked exactly the same way.
This is probably a foolish question, but... why is this so difficult? I'm currently writing Yet-Another-Tower-Defense-Game, and the creeps calculate their route according to the A* algorithm. Slightly modified and only recalculated once things change, they make decisions such as these rather easy...
Korenn

Post by Korenn »

indeed. A* where you limit the maximum cost of the tile to the movement speed of the unit should do it.
klausbreuer

Post by klausbreuer »

Actually, you can build a 2D-value grid using the A* algorithm for each unit wanting to move to a given destination. This way, you only have to recalc that array if the surroundings change:

* More map found
* Map tile on our route changed
* Enemy unit on route
* Enemy city placed on route
* ...etc

The value of each tile would simply be a score: how much do I want to use this tile? Basics are a better score for tiles easier to cross. You can advance this by modifying the score by enemy influence on the tile.

Implode, if you want I could email you the A* procedure from my TD game. I'd appreciate being able to help in any way.

Ciao,
Klaus
Virm

Post by Virm »

Meaning no offense, but isn't an A* heuristic map going to get really expensive in terms of memory usage? After all, in a small game with only a couple players, we're still talking about needing to work this for hundreds of units, and my own experience tells me that a unit will encounter something previously unseen (be it new landscape or an enemy unit stack) about once every 3 or 4 turns on average. I'd think that that would add up in a hurry when we start adding more players.

Then again, I'm tired at the moment, so I could be thinking in the wrong order of magnitude.
klausbreuer

Post by klausbreuer »

Well, not really. What's the full size of the map? 80x60? An A* byte array would take up 4800 Bytes per Stack of units/lone unit wanting to move.
And the array would be smaller anyway, as you'd limit it to the accessible parts - i.e. my spearmen are only interested in walking this island, not the entire world. On top of that, units with the same target could share the array.

But you're right: let it depend on how often things change - if it *is* every three turns, we don't need an array, we simply recalc every time. It goes quite quickly, after all.

(Don't worry, it's hard to offend me) :wink: