Installation Question/Issue

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
TML_Winston

Installation Question/Issue

Post by TML_Winston »

I have master of magic files in a directory (I run it now in DOSBox if I play). I run the .msi installer and it creates a MAster of MAgic Implodes Directory in the Program files. However, it does not place anything on the START menu.

I have run this multiple times and it flat wont put anything on the start menu. I have no idea how to associate .LBX files to client without manually editing the .XML and I am not sure I want to do that yet.

What must I do manually. Running Windows XP, DirectX 9, Quad Core, 2 Gig ram, etc.

Is there LBX editors as well, to improve/replace the graphics?
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Installation Question/Issue

Post by Implode »

TML_Winston wrote:I have no idea how to associate .LBX files to client without manually editing the .XML and I am not sure I want to do that yet.
That's weird, someone else reported the same thing. I thought it might be do to with not having Administrator rights, but if that's the case the installer shouldn't even let you install the game.

Anyway, its nowhere near as complex as editing any XML. Look under Common, find MoMIMEOriginalLBXRegistryKeySetter.exe and run it. Pick the location of your original LBX files (it doesn't matter which actual LBX file you pick). Then just run the server EXE followed by the client EXE - neither needs any paramters or anything else fancy.
TML_Winston wrote:Is there LBX editors as well, to improve/replace the graphics?
You wouldn't want to, the LBX file format is too restrictive with a specific 256 colour palette. You can however create your own BMPs (if you need BMPs of the original LBXes to start from, download my LBX extractor). This is the purpose of the (rather large) graphics XML file - it lists out the graphics to use for nearly every game element, so you can replace them with your own BMPs if you like... but it'd be a massive job.

Implode.
flowermt

Post by flowermt »

I'm running into the same problem on win XP pro (sp2 and install account has full admin rights). Looks like a problem with the installer maybe (v0.9.2).

I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps.

Please keep up the great work...

-----

ah... just found the links in the start menu under "Games"
klausbreuer

Post by klausbreuer »

Speaking of installs: how about a second version to download, consisting simply of a ZIP file? The ZIP has everything in a subdir called MOM_<version>, you unzip, done. This would also make it easy to carry the game with you by simply installing onto a USB stick.

By the way, has anybody tried to install/run this under Linux using WINE?