MoM IME "Enhancements"... ;)

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)

Yea or Nay?!

1) The Client should not support resolution options!
33%
2) The Client should support not sound options!
No votes
3) The Overland Map should not be optionally full screen!
33%
4) The Magic UI should not consolidated into the Spell Book!
No votes
5) Diplomacy should not be developed as its own separate UI!
No votes
6) City Screens should not have or support more features!
No votes
7) More Enhancements!!
33%
8) Never ever Enhance IME, it's Perfect!!
No votes
9) Voting is Futile... (register as apathetic) =(
No votes
10) Voting is Lame... (register as a negative person) =(
No votes

Total votes: 3

Cor'e =)

MoM IME "Enhancements"... ;)

Post by Cor'e =) »

Hi all, i'm new here, been over at SF leaving bug reports etc, after playing for a week straight (yup, i really like where IME is going, thanks Implode!) i have some future "features" to share out (as we all do perhaps after some trial runs...):

0) Implode should ignore much of this list, he has tons of great work to do, we don't want you to get into this too much that you lose time on the AI and the game programming!
1) The Client should support different resolutions (hopefully in the startup options or in-game, but in a config file will do...).
2) The Client should support mixing sound (hopefully in the startup options, where we can set the volumes for Master, BG Music, Ambient, Voices, SFXs).
3) The Overland Map should be optionally changeable under Game as windowed or as full screen (some features work best as full screen imho.)
4) The Magic UI should maybe all part of the Spell Book (so many possible ideas here, but consolidating in a win-win way is the goal i'm seeking, too many windows are clutter - Apprentice, Spells, Magic, etc.)
5) Diplomacy should be its own separate UI, not part of the idea for a Spell Book.
6) City Screens should have more features, like a Production Queue, scrollable Unit List, mini-Map click and go, click for Build details, larger clearer overlapping Icons, etc.

I'll add more if i can think them through... And yes, if you don't vote against the idea(s) then we'll generally think the idea(s) are on the right path. But if you would make comments it would help very much. =)

(See pics links for concepts in their raw form, i'll attach as soon as i can figure out how to, doh!).

Queues etc. http://i64.tinypic.com/2s7te2v.png
Mini-Map etc. http://i66.tinypic.com/2ldd7ps.jpg
Icons overlapping http://i68.tinypic.com/nyh4rt.png verses original http://gormel.altervista.org/mastro_gp/ ... nshot2.gif
Implode
Site Admin

Re: MoM IME "Enhancements"... ;)

Post by Implode »

Your voting options amuse me :) I agree with most of this, except the different resolutions (because you+I seem to want to set the game up very differently, I really think I should send you a screenshot of how I arrange the windows, but IMO changing resolution is a function of the operating system and not something I should touch). Also on the city screen.. why scrollable unit list? I purposefully put the units garrisoned in the city at the bottom of the window where there is lots more space so it can fit 20 units in without the need to scroll. (Are you actually playing with modifying the max number of units per map cell? I've really not tested that lol)

Production queue - sure would be nice, other similar games have that. Click mini map - I don't see how it helps, but sure, it does no harm so why not.

The icons I really disagree on. If you generate massive amounts of production (or loss) then it overflows the width of the resources panel - there I totally agree the icons need to overlap IF and only if they will overflow the window if laid out fully. But now you're talking about the coins that show the current progress on your construction project, which at the moment represent 4 production per coin. Because MoM IME runs at twice the resolution (typically screens are 640x480 instead of 320x200 like the original), I regard that as a great bonus because I *don't* have to make the icons overlap. If I make them overlap then... you would reach a point where 1 coin = 1 production. Which given your comments about wanting to know *exactly* how many production points are left, is probably what you want :P

Actually, for that matter, once I get past about 5 cities I tend to just close all the individual city screens out and just manage them via the single screen that shows ALL the cities in a list. There are a few pieces of info missing from there (an indication of how many turns left to complete construction, and the ability to rush buy), but if that screen could be improved to the point that you don't need the individual city screens at all anymore, that's something I'd really like to see.
Cor'e =)

Re: MoM IME "Enhancements"... ;)

Post by Cor'e =) »

Hey! =)

"Are you actually playing with modifying the max number of units per map cell? I've really not tested that lol" Yes, works well so far. 8) And been tweaking all kinds of things like number and strength of monster lairs, towers, nodes; starting Wizard skill points, and pretty much all those wonderful options you gave us to play with. All in getting ready for some cool IME fun!

Please do send a screenshot of your layout, i'm interested, ...but playing a game in MS's OS is the last thing i want to be reminded of during gameplay, i prefer a full screen immersion mode of playing (and no sign of Microsoft what-so-ever-ever-ever, just the game). I also had to arrange all the windows to keep things near the main map, incredibly tedious affair, as MS likes to move things about on its own for pop-ups or near the sacred StartBar etc... =( IMO, MS OS is a business suite OS and has little or nothing to do with games, and that someday we'll all be divorced of it completely, Java is one of the paths to that end.

Regarding overlapping icons, "...IF and only if they will overflow the window if laid out fully", i agree there, never meant otherwise. On the production window, i've meant that the coins are larger (no tiny dots) and therefore could overlap to compress to fit the space, not that they stop representing 4 hammers per coin (or whatever it decides will fit as build costs go higher). Only that when we click the production window or dots or coins that we are able to get a accurate display of hammers need to complete, much like if we click rations or hammers or citizens on the left side.

"...once I get past about 5 cities I tend to just close all the individual city screens out and just manage them via the single screen that shows ALL the cities in a list.", and i do the same, thank you for having that because moving around the map and closing city screens to get behind them is wayyy more work each turn. =) If the SpellBook (with Magic & QOL inside) and the City List were dockable inside the Map window then that would be awesome!! You could then have the battle window pop-up and disable/deactivate/grey-out the map layer and the dockables.

Update: Here's a new idea where in the Client or Game Options (or both) there is an option to move the top screen micro-button bar over to the side, like so, nice and big!
http://i67.tinypic.com/20h98bq.png With this option in place the resolutions fervor is kinda solved for awhile... ;)