Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Anything you want to discuss about games besides MoM
Tommten

Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Post by Tommten »

Hello!
My first post on this forum.
If you like Master of Magic you might like Master Of Orion 2.
Its awsome. Check it out! :)
I still play it with DOSbox in Vista even though I can play the newest games with my computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II

I got Master of Orion 3 to but its just boring, waste of time.
Lubricus

Re: Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Post by Lubricus »

I agree completely. MOO 2 took wwhat was good about MOO 1 and made it better. MOO 3 took what was tedious and uninspired about MOO 2 and made it worse...
klausbreuer

Post by klausbreuer »

Yes - MOO 3 did what most games are doing these days: focus on pretty graphics, ignore the rest.

This is probably done because it allows for pretty screenshots. Since most reviewers (in the magazines, at least) are usually simply bought, this allows you to have great reviews with lots of very nice pictures. This will sell more games, which is the only interest of these people...

The *real* funny thing about MOO3 was that they had an advert in it for Galactic Civilizations. At least here in Germany - and thus I found that I didn't waste *all* the money I spent on MOO3, after all - that advert pointed me to great fun.
:wink:
Lubricus

Post by Lubricus »

I fail to see why graphics is such a big selling point. I mean, I get that people want great graphics, but at the cost of good gameplay?! I'd easily paid double the normal cost of a new game for an updated (gameplay-wise) version of Civ 2, MoO 2, MoM or Colonization without any new graphics at all... Then again, I'm an old fart, I guess...
klausbreuer

Post by klausbreuer »

Oh, Lubricus, the answer why people want graphics is simple: they're pretty. "Ooooh, look what cool pix I got, man!" "Check my graphics card, huh".

For good gameplay you need a certain amount of intelligence. Initially, only (well, okay, mainly) intelligent people had PCs: ZX81, C64, Hp45. Such people are usually interested in complex gameplay. While they're quite willing to play some primitive relaxation game, they usually like to think while playing.

Thus MOO2, MoM, and games like that.

You can see where my argument is going: these days, lots of idiots have computers. The companies don't care about the intelligence of the player, only about his wallet. Smart people can play dumb games every now and then. Dumb people cannot play anything but. Thus, larger market.

Besides, managers have absolutely no idea about computer games. They like to see colorful screenshots, though.
Lubricus

Post by Lubricus »

klausbreuer wrote:these days, lots of idiots have computers.
Heh, so we should have some kind of permit system for buying computers, maybe? So that noone with an IQ of less than, say, 120 points could buy a computer? :mrgreen: