Evening the strength of the 5 realms of magic

Anything else to do with the original Master of Magic
Lucern

Post by Lucern »

saxxonpike wrote:
Virm wrote:Edit: I will, however admit that this spell seems far more effective in the computer's hands, dropping anything I leave on the ground like flies.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Strangely, they seem to have a better chance of a successful cast than I do...
While this would certainly be possible that the numbers don't work out, 25% of the time seems about right in practice. Now, I don't cast it every battle, 4 times, on the same hero, so I've never gotten the same apparent results lol. The AI, however...
Clythoss

Re:

Post by Clythoss »

momfreeek wrote: Chaos is not made for an 11 book start, 9 books and channeler is better. I think its very different to other realms. With life you build a few units, buff them up and then conquer the map with your invincible army. With chaos you pump out troops knowing they will die and cause as much damage as possible. Use your spells to hamper the opposition making sure you get into combat (with warp wood and fireball.. or preferably warp-lightning you can stop most ranged attacks) and to finish things off. Don't waste mana on buffs or to save failing units from death but use it to press home the attack and conquer cities... if they fail, just send more next time. In the right circumstances, gargoyles, doom bats and chaos spawn can all be useful.. they all have major weaknesses but they do all have prominent strengths... unlike some of the life spells which are no-brainers in any situation.
I got a challenge for you(and anyone else who likes to try).Beat the game on impossible with the following restrictions :

1.) Only build 1 unit per city,except for settlers they are unlimited. Fallen Units may not be replaced.
2.) Don´t hire any normal troops
3.) Don´t use any summon spell including summon hero/summon champion. Summon spirit/guardian spirit is the only exception.
3.a) Summoning in battle however is allowed.
4.) Don´t use Spell of Mastery
5.) Units obtained any other way then the ones mentioned above must be dismissed the moment you get them undead via zombie mastery for example. ( This rule is just in case i overlooked something :) )

This means you only have your initial swordsman and any hero you free or asks to be hired to use.I managed to do this with 11 chaos books. And i don´t think any other setup can do this.
Last edited by Clythoss on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
E=MC²+1W6
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Implode »

Clythoss wrote:Only build 1 unit per city. Fallen Units may not be replaced.
Sounds fun, so you mean say from your first city you get your spearmen + swordsmen, and can build a 3rd unit. Then when you capture a 2nd city, you can build another unit - do you have to build the new unit in the new city? Can you build settlers - do they count as the 1 unit you can build?

I reckon I could do it with 11 life books... maybe 11 death books too. Sounds impossible with Nature or Sorcery.
Clythoss

Re: Re:

Post by Clythoss »

Implode wrote:
Sounds fun, so you mean say from your first city you get your spearmen + swordsmen, and can build a 3rd unit. Then when you capture a 2nd city, you can build another unit - do you have to build the new unit in the new city? Can you build settlers - do they count as the 1 unit you can build?

I reckon I could do it with 11 life books... maybe 11 death books too. Sounds impossible with Nature or Sorcery.

Hnng... i forgot settlers. You can of course build as many as you want. And yes you have to build the new unit in the new City. I also forgot to mention 2 other things, i will update my above post. I also didn´t think about the unit you could build in your hometown the way i formulated the rules, but i think it´s ok.
E=MC²+1W6
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Evening the strength of the 5 realms of magic

Post by Implode »

I had a go using 11 life books, and casting Invunerability+Heroism on my regular spearmen/swordsmen units to make them mostly unbeatable, and was doing quite well (had one wizard killed, found Myrran HQ of the most powerful remaining wizard and just about to attack it) when the game locked up. Grrrrrr!
PatentMC

Post by PatentMC »

Hi all !!!
The appropriate time for tweaking everything will be when the multiplayer starts to work. Then you just need to make 5 armies, check their evolution in turns, weak and strong points and many many other things. Check some varieties. When the multi starts to work I'm very eager to help you with that, so you can count me in.

One funny tactic i used when playing chaos was casting chaos vortex. I entered a location (city, node, etc) with a single unit (usually very tough, so the ranged unit couldnt take it quickly) casted chaos vortex and watched it kill the units. If that unit died I've entered with another one and again and agin until I accomplished what i wanted.

When you are talking about "winning on impossible level - couldnt do it" you meen without saving? Just asking because i won the game on impossible level a few times, but with saving.
Korenn

Post by Korenn »

I completely agree. Because large scale multiplayer changes the game so significantly from single player, balancing should be done after those kind of games have become common place.