Hotseat

Anything else to do with MoM IME
Worsas

Hotseat

Post by Worsas »

In some of the Heroes of M&M Games exists the option of playing a hotseat game. You play with several people but share one PC.

Is this feature also aimed for MOMIME?
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Not really... wouldn't the game just be too slow, I mean how many times (especially early on) would you just be hitting Next turn... Next turn?

I've more been aiming for the other direction, of trying to invent ways to change the game in subtle ways (so it still "feels like" MoM) but speed up the turns - like giving you all the "city X has completed building Y" messages in one go rather than popping them up one at a time.

Implode.
Worsas

Post by Worsas »

Well... okay.
It had perhaps been nice for a game with two persons.
When there were more, you´d be totally right.

However, you've done great work with your game
I´d be happy to see more of it soon
stew

Post by stew »

alternatively, couldn't you have multiple clients and a server running at the same time on the same computer?
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Yeah, that works. I just didn't suggest it because it runs absolutely dog slow! I'm hoping changing the way the terrain is drawn in 0.9.2 will help performance somewhat, hard to guess whether it'll be by a little or a drastic improvement.

Implode.
srw46

Post by srw46 »

This has been a staple feature in TBS games. I suspect it's used primarily by two players who don't have a LAN or internet connection. My brother and I used to use the multiplayer shell to play MoM hotseat but that had certain bugs in it.

We regulary used hotseating in Heroes of Might and Magic and the Disciples series.

It's not really any slower than playing against human players online. It still involves the same amount of 'next turn' pressing?
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

srw46 wrote:It's not really any slower than playing against human players online. It still involves the same amount of 'next turn' pressing?
Well, that is why I invented the simultaneous turns mode... so you could all take your turn at the same time, otherwise playing much more than 2-3 players would be unbearably slow since half your time you're just sat there waiting for the other player.

And actually 0.9.3 is significantly faster (in terms of fps) than earlier versions, so I think you should be fine running two copies of the client side by side and just switch windows depending whose turn it is, if you really want to play it that way.

Implode.
Tekee

Post by Tekee »

simultanoeus would be fun but I expect it to be quite a task, see this old computer is slow and I cannot play much games on it,. but if I connect with my much better laptop I can play with my brother this game multiplyaer, simutaneous is a must for turn based games! otherwise it is just too slow
But there is the problems of fast clicking and stuff ike that. Yeah I came from Age of Wondersd Shadow Magic and it is soo much fun but I haven't played it online in like a year XD I MISS those guys so much! there are always there like even after so many years, well I don't play online games much but it is just amazing in their devotion, that is why I love Implode, and becuase he used to live where I used to live, in the SMALL town of Portugal COVE that is amazing!!!! XDXDXD Newfoundland is not a big place!
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Implode wrote:I think you should be fine running two copies of the client side by side and just switch windows depending whose turn it is
Unfortunately I gave this a go in the last few days when trying to test something... it doesn't work... besides some errors with conflicting locks on the music files (which you can ignore), you get an odd ActiveX error from a conflict on the XML files which I don't entirely understand, but I'll look into it...