Building units in a full city

Place to report bugs in MoM IME and suggest ideas for enhancements (please read rules before posting)
Iluvalar

Post by Iluvalar »

Implode wrote: IMHO to work like the original MoM I think it needs to do top-left first, then clockwise. I'm really sceptical about going out to a 2nd ring - this could mean a city on one island could produce units on a totally separate island, and detecting this to stop it would be tricky.
I don't know how to plan to implant it, but yeah i got once a spearman that poped on another island (my city was really small and was defended by 6 heros, the enemy was constently raiding me and, one time, there was no space left at all on my island).
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

I've got this done in 0.9.3 now. Its clever enough not to put units on impassable terrain (spearmen on water or boats on land). I decided to only make the units go in the 8 squares around the city, apparently the original MoM will try further out if all 9 squares are full, but that just seemed crazy to me (how DO those spearmen suddenly become able to run 2 squares and still get a move on their first turn?) :)

Implode.
Virm

Post by Virm »

Implode wrote:apparently the original MoM will try further out if all 9 squares are full, but that just seemed crazy to me (how DO those spearmen suddenly become able to run 2 squares and still get a move on their first turn?)

Implode.

How do they do it? Magic, of course!
nazlfrag

Re: Building units in a full city

Post by nazlfrag »

Sounds good, there's no need to reproduce all the bugs authentically. There's still the corner cases where all squares are filled, where greyed buttons would be needed, and summons in a full layout would have nowhere to go. To fix these edge cases you could make testing and greying out of flying/water units seperate from land ones dependent on terrain of surrounding squares (don't forget to eliminate lairs), and greying out should occur one less than the limit to accomadate summons.
Virm

Re: Building units in a full city

Post by Virm »

nazlfrag wrote:and greying out should occur one less than the limit to accomadate summons.
Can't have that. Suppose that I want to fill that last slot with another longbowman or stag beetle? No, the answer to that would have to be to make a check when initiating the summon spell to see if there's room at/around the current location of the summoning circle. And that test would need to happen at the intended start of any summon spell in the queue, as it's possible that there could be a move of the summoning circle cast earlier in the queue, and if it moves to a place with no space, then a test at the time the summon was added to the queue may no longer have a valid result.

A test may also be required just as the spell is done casting, as there's to potential to fill available space between the start of the summon cast and its completion.