Let's talk graphics MoM style (again).

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
Lucern

Re: Let's talk graphics MoM style (again).

Post by Lucern »

Thanks again for your generous and thorough help Implode. I had some success, though I must say adding the graphics in took longer than I thought. I much preferred actually making them, though like my first spearman frame I'm sure future ones will go faster. I'm well on my way to some wolf riders as well, but for now, we have some brave goblin spearmen taking the field against a fire giant.

I have a feeling I can get the resolution to a more attractive size, but for now it's tiny goblins on a tiny subscreen lol.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk24 ... blins4.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk24 ... blins2.jpg

There will be more to come as I have it.

Lucern
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Heh, awesome, its great to see someone fiddling with MoM IME this much and actually having some success :)
Lucern wrote:I must say adding the graphics in took longer than I thought
Yeah... there's a LOT of XML entries for units due to all their different animations in combat, but in this & most other instances I focussed on customizability and assuming as little as possible about e.g. how many walking frames there are. And I of course "cheated" creating the graphics XML file in the first place, and just wrote some code to spew out all the thousands of entries for the original 190-or-so units :) Although I had to do all the spell and city graphics entries by hand :roll:
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Where exactly is the 33rd image located for each figure? For example, if I'm modifying the draconian bowman unit, I need to pull up 32 image files from figure5.lbx picture number 72 (file72 ..000.bmp) to 79 (file79... 003.bmp), but I don't see another image for the overland map.
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Likewise, is there a means to return these updated bmps back into the lbx file so the program can read them (and I'm referring to the 1.31 engine here, not IME).
Lucern

Post by Lucern »

Aureus wrote:Where exactly is the 33rd image located for each figure? For example, if I'm modifying the draconian bowman unit, I need to pull up 32 image files from figure5.lbx picture number 72 (file72 ..000.bmp) to 79 (file79... 003.bmp), but I don't see another image for the overland map.
If you've extracted all of them into a folder, and have them in alphabetical order, they're right at the end. Look for .bmps starting with "Units1_000_000".
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Thanks. I overlooked those. Do you have an idea how to "unextract" these images back into the original .lbx?
Lucern

Post by Lucern »

Hah, what, you mean you missed the little detail among the thousands of tiny frames? :D

As for your other question, I haven't a clue. I'll wait for Implode to field that one.
Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Aureus wrote:Likewise, is there a means to return these updated bmps back into the lbx file so the program can read them (and I'm referring to the 1.31 engine here, not IME).
I don't know of one. I could put something together pretty easily to merge a bunch of files back into an LBX, the tricky part is converting them back from BMPs into the weird image format that the original MoM uses, including reducing the 24 bit colour BMP back to the fixed 256 colour palette that MoM uses. I've never seen code anywhere to convert back from modern image formats into the MoM format, only the other way around!