Conversion to C#

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
delcov

Conversion to C#

Post by delcov »

I just stumbled upon your forums, and I commend you work. You seem to be making great strides in understanding and modifying the game.

I have, off and on for about 2 years now, considered an attempt to convert MoM from Delphi to C#, with some rewrite as necessary. I understand that it's not a simple undertaking, and I'm prepared to work through the challenges. Have you ever considered this sort of a port to C#? I've read about using DeDe to decompile the LBX files and executables, as well as Delphi-to-C# converters.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you been successful in decompiling event handlers and methods? Any advice? I'm fairly new to game programming, though I have stepped through a couple game programming books before and have frequented GameDev.net. I have several ideas for updating the game and expanding it with some new features.

Thanks,
delcov
Implode
Site Admin

Re: Conversion to C#

Post by Implode »

delcov wrote:Delphi to C#
Eh? Are you saying the original MoM was written in Delphi? Unlikely, Delphi generates Windows apps, and MoM is definitely a DOS executable.
delcov wrote:decompiling event handlers and methods
Didn't even bother - everything in MoM IME has been written from scratch. To be honest the original is full of bugs, and all the unit stats are hard coded, and just given the era it was written in is probably quite messy code, so I doubt I'd consider going that route even if it was possible.

Implode.
delcov

Re: Conversion to C#

Post by delcov »

I apologize, you are correct. It is not Delphi, it was originally written in Turbo/Borland Pascal. There is actually another website already doing a MoM.Net conversion, which I just discovered today.

Anyway, thx for the response, and good luck w/ your project.