Master of Magic Re-revisited

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
Aureus

Re: Master of Magic Re-revisited

Post by Aureus »

Would love to give this mod a go. Replaying MoM again atm and this would make things more interesting for sure! Can i download it somewhere?
Yes! Give me a few days. I'll upload a BETA 2.0 version in .rar format, with a link in this thread.

Like I mentioned a bit earlier, I wanted to get a little feedback (and make some last second revisions) before I just threw it out there.

Aureus
zitro

Post by zitro »

I'm glad you back your points well. It's good seeing you defend the issues I felt were unbalanced with reasons/examples why it would actually help with balance instead.

I haven't played with sorcery forever, so I don't remember that much the confusion's usefulness and that creature binding is about taking a chance. I also didn't even know that death makes others hate you more, and life like you more.

btw, is it possible to do something about the 11-book mages? It's extremely unbalanced with all colors (especially white/black) and now the others would be more due to the cheaper creatures. My suggestion is to pick 2 'uncommon' spells, but not the rare one ... if it can't be coded, then I don't know.

_I disagree with Great Wasting's high cost, but maybe I didn't use it to its fullest potential. Does it really make a huge difference? Isn't it better to just corrupt the cities you want and save the money for a couple of efreets?

_I also need to ask the difference of word of death and Death spell. From the description, it seems as if they're the same, but word of death is much more powerful. Then why is it cheaper and faster to research?

EDIT: getting anxious now :P
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

btw, is it possible to do something about the 11-book mages? It's extremely unbalanced with all colors (especially white/black) and now the others would be more due to the cheaper creatures. My suggestion is to pick 2 'uncommon' spells, but not the rare one ... if it can't be coded, then I don't know.
I haven't looked into it...
_I disagree with Great Wasting's high cost, but maybe I didn't use it to its fullest potential. Does it really make a huge difference? Isn't it better to just corrupt the cities you want and save the money for a couple of efreets?
Forget the main power of these spells (corruption, volcanos). The added unrest of both these spells is ridiculous. I doubt the effect is just +1 unrest for GW and +2 for Arm, as listed in the FAQ and help. For example, in a semi-decent empire, GW would take a 250 gold income to -50 and food -12 just due to the higher unrest. With Armageddon the hit is on the order of 250 to -250 and food -25. It is completely debilitating unless all your cities have animist's guilds, and even then it is pretty painful.

Against the AI, I'm not sure if there is any substantive effect. However, when used against the human player, the power is disproportionate to the the casting cost of the spell.

I'll lower the cost when someone can somehow demonstrate that these effects are commensurate with these spells' current upkeep.
_I also need to ask the difference of word of death and Death spell. From the description, it seems as if they're the same, but word of death is much more powerful. Then why is it cheaper and faster to research?
Word of Death is -5 save against any one creature. Death Spell is -2 save for all units in combat.
zitro

Post by zitro »

Aureus wrote:
thanks for the clarifications. Don't worry, if that's how great unwasting works, then it doesn't need to be changed, it seems appropriately devastating. The death spells are balanced too since I misunderstood how the more powerful one worked (I actually never got to use it)

I was gonna mention "time stop", but when double checking, I noticed you pushed it much farther back, so it's a relief.

as for the 11 book configuration, is it possible to allow the player to start the game without putting all of his/her spells? maybe if there's a code of honor with players, they would do something like put 2 uncommon spells only and avoid the rare (which usually is gamebreaking). What kind of mages do you play with? 11-book mages or do you make it harder by avoiding that?

so, for me, there isn't really anything more to say. You seem to be as much of a 'balance freak' as me, and I feel you did a better job than I could do if given the time/resources. I feel balance is a really important part of a game.

So unless you're planning any extra changes, I wouldn't mind getting it the way it is. :)

EDIT: omg you uploaded it, thanks, I'll try it right now :D
Aidan_Mclaren

Post by Aidan_Mclaren »

Aureus wrote:bad-asses...
I think you kind of annoyed me there...
schlechtj

Editing the game

Post by schlechtj »

I see that a few people have been asking how to edit Master of Magic. Since MomHack has long been out of Googles reach and I never had it, I was getting tired of hex editing so I made a series of three programs. These allow you to edit Units, Racial attributes, building attributes and spell costs. Makes it easier for everyone. In addition, these programs should work fine with the unofficial 2.0 allowing you to roll back or make additional changes as you see fit. Let us know how it works out.

You can find them at www.dragonsword.com in the downloads section. Look for my name.

Thanks,
Joel Schlecht