MOM 2.0 Upload

Details about file formats, structure and contents in the original Master of Magic
Aureus

MOM 2.0 Upload

Post by Aureus »

Here is the version of the game I play with:

http://www.geocities.com/aureustgo/MOM200.zip

These should be all the files you need (in fact, I probably included some extra files that I didn't change). If not, remind of which ones you need. You may wish to make a backup copy of your original 1.31 files.

I also included the "2.0" pdf file for easy reference. Let me know if there are inconsistencies (i.e. pdf or in-game help say one thing, game says or does another). This way I can make the corrections and improve the zip file for others.

Enjoy.

Aureus
zitro

Re: MOM 2.0 Upload

Post by zitro »

awesome. Any ideas on how to put sound in the game?

(I could get sound in Master of Orion II using dosbox)

EDIT: I have sound now. I fixed the problem :)

as for my experience. I'm playing on hard, with beastmen with nature books and conjurer. I played a bit badly and got unlucky since there's no easy node, the cities are dwarves (high resistance units make cockatrices/spiders/manticores less useful). The game seems to be a bit harder, I get attacked with big groups of phantom warriors and once I lost a city because I got attacked by a halberdier and hammerhand! I'm trying to hurry up to create golems/minotaurs and I'll start turning the tide a bit.

It's very fun so far.
Last edited by zitro on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

I brought this up in another thread. Use dosbox. You shouldn't have a problem.
Nehan

Post by Nehan »

hurray!
zitro

Post by zitro »

Wow, the game is quite hard, maybe it's because I wasn't aggressive until I've gotten the earth elemental, golems, minotaurs and basilisks.

at what difficulty do you normally play? considering not starting 11 books, I can imagine on 'impossible', is 'impossible'. ;)
Nehan

Post by Nehan »

well I'm at the moment playing klackons on hard with 4D/5S books and channeler. I had no problem tearing apart Merlin and getting ready now for myrran invasion. the only problem is with heroes, as with 15 fame I've got one basic hero (Beastmaster) and can't research summon hero at this point.
still, the lairs are now much more difficult.
Warsaw isn't a kind of a battle saw. It's the capital of Poland.
zitro

Post by zitro »

Well, I managed to turn the game around. Minotaurs and Golems are extremely powerful. I found a life book, so I have prayer/heroism. I found the want with the 4 spell binding (I sold it for tons of mana), and considering the mage who declared war being halflings, I attacked with golems.

Now, I have my farming problems taken care of :)
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

I usually play impossible, large land mass. Typically I play with no life spell books, and either orcs or klackons (for the ultimate challenge). If you end up starting with 3 AI around you, well, you either win very easily or it's literally impossible to compete with them.
zitro

Post by zitro »

I noticed the 'galley error' appears in this patch.

It's a common error in Master Of Magic where a galley can appear with dozens of skills. It causes many problems including reducing all your resources to 0.
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Interesting. I've never encountered it, largely because I don't build ships (no need with large land mass). Hopefully if you just save the game and reload, the "error" should go away.

With this patch, the game very rarely gets errors in it. Still, please let me know what type of errors (if any) you run into.
Yar

Post by Yar »

This version is very, very, fun :D

Do you want to know about small errors like typos too?
zitro

Post by zitro »

Aureus wrote:Interesting. I've never encountered it, largely because I don't build ships (no need with large land mass). Hopefully if you just save the game and reload, the "error" should go away.

With this patch, the game very rarely gets errors in it. Still, please let me know what type of errors (if any) you run into.
Well, I thought the galley problem was a well-known error, considering how often it can appear (I've seen it a couple of times in my first game in mom 2.0, a couple from my dad playing in 1.3 as well). You click the galley icon when building units in a city, and you have an 'invisible galley' with tons of abilities. My dad fought a couple of them at once. He had archangels/griffins, high prayer, etc. and had losses. It had doom gaze, web, summon demon, and various crazy abilities.

as for other errors, I've once got sprites in a ruin getting the +2 bonuses.

also, my dad reported a problem involving true sight: he had it on a hero, someone used dispel magic, so he cast it again and he got the sound you get when something is not allowed (casting iron skin on a stone skin unit for example) and a red line instead of a message. His game also crashed twice randomly.

about balance issues, I'm not sure if I would mention the draconians' Doom drakes. Unenchanted, I feel they're weak due to their low defense (even my beastmen swordmen/halberdiers seemed to overpower them), but I wonder how they would be if you cast them iron skin for example. The race itself isn't that strong. Even tho I had ground based melee armies, I had a much easier time defeating draconians than halflings.
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Do you want to know about small errors like typos too?
Yeah, these in particular.

The other bugs, well, I'm not sure I can do anything about these. They are relics from the 1.31 game.
zitro

Post by zitro »

I played with Barbarian/Chaos mastery. Beat it quite easily. The chaos creatures are now quite nicer. I've mainly used doombats and chimeras to beat the game quickly. Near the end, I spammed the klackon's special unit which was quite fun to use. Is it just me, or is flamestrike more suited as a "very rare" spell? I always found it a bit gamebreaking.

I started a game with sorcery/sorcery mastery/+skill pick. So far, it's great. Having those tough swordmen/halberdiers combined with 4-5 phantom warriors is very nice. Gnolls' best unit is gotten really early, but of course can't be very useful later on.
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

I played with Barbarian/Chaos mastery. Beat it quite easily. The chaos creatures are now quite nicer. I've mainly used doombats and chimeras to beat the game quickly. Near the end, I spammed the klackon's special unit which was quite fun to use. Is it just me, or is flamestrike more suited as a "very rare" spell? I always found it a bit gamebreaking.
If you play impossible, large land mass, non-11 book strategy, I'd be interested what your win % is.

If you play 10 times, do you even win twice? I've found that I win about 20% of my games, maybe a bit less.