Graphics for Evil Presence / Pestilence???

Anything else to do with the original Master of Magic
Implode
Site Admin

Graphics for Evil Presence / Pestilence???

Post by Implode »

I've been experimenting with City Curse spells in the original MoM so I can write them into MoM IME. I've found that Famine & Cursed Lands change the colour of the land on the city screen (making it brown and icky-looking), but Evil Presence & Pestilence have no visible appearance? You can only tell they've been cast because the spell appears in the list on the city screen?

I'm sure I remember seeing Evil Presence displayed on the city screen with this image:

Does anyone else recognize or remember this, or have any suggestions/etc for what I can use for graphics for these spells? Perhaps Evil Presence used to have that image in MoM 1.2 and that's what I remember? Or maybe it only appears if an AI wizard casts it on you, not if you cast it on them?

Thanks,

Implode.
Lupinedreams

curse graphics

Post by Lupinedreams »

I'm pretty sure I remember some kind of skull or demon head for evil presence too...thought it hovered over the buildings? maybe I'm nuts, I'll go check it out in-game....don't remember one for pestilence - but then, I rarely see those spells cast (by me or the computer) since in old MoM even the black curses that did work, weren't really efficient....pay 5 mana a turn to cut off the mana from one city? sounds like a deal if you hit their capital or big city and cut off 15 mana or so, right? except, the CPU doesn't actually have to pay for it's spells or troops on harder difficulties from what I've seen anyway....it spams like it's got a bottomless mana credit card

that, and some of the curses didn't work at all....but I'll go try the spells
Lupinedreams

hmm

Post by Lupinedreams »

After checking in the game, I realized that evil omen (and maybe other death magic curses?) say they have no effect if the person you cast it on can use death magic. But, it seems to let you cast the spell anyway, and it still shows up in the city description - perhaps that's why there was no icon. I can see from a flavor standpoint why sending a demon into someone's church would have little effect if they worshipped demons already - but it significantly weakens a spell thats already not terribly powerful. Ah, but I'm getting off topic - the point is that I tried casting it, and my opponent was Kali - it let me cast the spell, even though it did nothing. Perhaps that's what you found when you tested it? I haven't gotten a chance to test it against non-death CPUs yet (tried 3 quick times before work, always got death using opponents....) I'll update when I get a chance as to what it does on non-death cities.
Implode
Site Admin

Re: curse graphics

Post by Implode »

Lupinedreams wrote:thought it hovered over the buildings?
I read some mentions about that in the FAQ too after I posted my question. The city I tried casting it on didn't have any shrines, etc. so that would explain it.

I'm just going to make the demon head appear once in the corner... it'd be a lot of faffing about & changes to my city screen code to make it appear over the buildings... and I doubt anyone is really bothered :)

I'll leave Pestilence with no graphics... I don't have much choice.

Thanks for checking it out,

Implode.