How Chaos Channels should work

Polls asking for feedback/suggestions for MoM IME

Chaos Channeled units should still be "Normal" units. So Metal Fires/Flame Blade works on them, Warp Reality hinders them, they don't get bonuses from Chaos Nodes, and they can't be hurt by Star Fires/Dispel Evil.
3%
Chaos Channeled units should still be "Chaos" units. So Metal Fires/Flame Blade won't work on them, they're not hurt by Warp Reality, do get bonuses from Chaos Nodes, and can be hurt by Star Fires/Dispel Evil.
47%
Chaos Channeled units should get the best of both kinds of unit. So Metal Fires/Flame Blade works on them, they're not hurt by Warp Reality, do get bonuses from Chaos Nodes. Only negative is that they can be hurt by Star Fires/Dispel Evil.
41%
Make it consistent by allowing Flame Blade to be cast on all Chaos units (i.e. allowing it to be cast on Hell Hounds, Great Drakes, etc. as well)
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 34

Implode
Site Admin

Post by Implode »

Chaos Channels is a mess in the original MoM, regarding whether Chaos Channeled units are considered "Normal" units, "Chaos" units or something else.

e.g. you can cast Flame Blade on Chaos Channeled units overland, but not in combat. Flame Blade says it only works on "normal" units, and you can cast it, but also Chaos Nodes give +2 attack/defence/resistance to "Chaos" units, and Chaos channeled units DO get this bonus. So if you can cast Flame Blade on them, and they also get Chaos node bonuses, then they're both "normal" and "Chaos" units at the same time? Its an inconsistent mess.

What's everyone's opinion on how this should work?

Thanks,

Implode.
GTPoompt

Post by GTPoompt »

Hmmm, can you cast flame blade or metal fires on Black Channeled Units? To be consistent, both Chaos and Black Channeled units should be done the same way. (darkness can count for node purposes comparison).

Also, IIRC chaos channels units gain EXP but BC units don't...
Lupinedreams

yar

Post by Lupinedreams »

chaos channel and black channel work differently - black channel doesn't just make them "death" creatures - it makes them UNDEAD. this is why they can't heal, or gain experience, etc. That's how it should work. Chaos channel is only supposed to make a normal unit a chaos unit - so they get the benefits and drawbacks of being a chaos unit, while still retaining the benefits and drawbacks of being troops, rather than fantastic creatures: namely, gaining experience. From a flavor standpoint, this makes sense: you warped your troops, giving them wings or fire breath or whatnot - but they're still the same slinger/pikemen/whatnot.......they just breath fire now :)

So - yes, heroes that are channeled should still be able to use weapons, troops should still be able to be enchanted (unless the spell says specifically it can't be cast on chaos units) they become weak to dispel evil and star fires....I don't see how this is confusing? I know it was weird in the original, MoM contradicted itself with this spell - but the basic idea makes sense
Deadnature

Post by Deadnature »

One of chaos's few saving graces is the existance (like nature) of benificial nodes. While this doesn't make a huge difference in SP it would in MP where I imagine there would be more fighting over node-control and more competition to take nodes early.
McTaff

Re: How Chaos Channels should work

Post by McTaff »

I agree with Lupine.